early 80s proto-eski

nine

variable spray
some sonic premonitions of eski, sinogrime etc. from 1982

1) David Sylvian and Riuichi Sakamoto 'Bamboo Houses' 1982
(this was blissblogged a few years ago in relation to Dizzee Rascal's first album I think)

2) Bits of the soundtrack to Slava Tsukerman's 'Liquid Sky' movie are uncannily 'Ice Rink'etc.

any more?. . .must be pre-1985

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's the oriental and asian flavoured grime that wiley and jammer started in about 2003. it's not a road term tho, it's just something kode came up with and we used occasionally to describe that flavour of beats.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Sino- is a prefix that can be used in any context (not just music) and it means that something has asian influences. The word is ethymologically connected with the word China.

So sinogrime is tunes like Wiley's "Avalanche", "Icepole", "Shanghai" and Jammer's "Vice Versa" and Ruff Sqwad's "R U Double F".

That is, grime that mimicks our western conception of the aesthetics of "asian" music.

Did I get it right? If I'm wrong, please correct me. This is just my understanding of the word which I have gained from googling after I read the word sinogrime myself and was mystified since I had no clue what it meant.

Badmarsh

Cool - multicultural music! its all good!

tell me - i was reading in an article somewhere - east london people have incorporated "bengali" phraseolgy/words into their speak - have u seen this come up in the grime scene? Very interested to know.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
If you want to go as far back as the 60's,I can recommend this:

Jean-Jacques Perrey & Gershon Kingsley - Swan's Splashdown

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah that's right. obviously 'sino' means 'of china' but we used it lazily to mean both oriental and asian flavours.

similarly sinodub refers to tunes like horsepower's 'sholay,' kode 9's 'subkontinent' and 'fukkaz/subkon', loefah's monsoon remix, skream's 'indian dub' etc

again this isn't a genre or anything, just a descriptive term.

Badmarsh

LOL at Paul!

Looking forward to the armsing or shanking that is imminent im sure... :mad: - makes for such better reading than bloomberg screens...well not really

Woebot

front 242: headhunters
cold crush brothers: feel the horns
matthias schuster: atemlos
daf: kinderfunk
asmus titechens: litia
ike yard: a fact a second

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Sakamoto: B-2 Unit (more so than Bamboo Houses)
Front 242: Endless Riddance (more so than Headhunter)
Zazou/Bikaye/Cy1: Noir et Blanc (more so than anything else you'll ever hear)

owen

Chris and Cosey- Moving Still (this especially is verrry proto-eski, all chimes and electronic tinkles)
Cabaret Voltaire- Yashar
loads of other Sylvian/Japan stuff, esp stuff like 'Still life in Mobile Homes'