day-dreaming

zhao

there are no accidents
this one is for all the music lovers on here who are NOT currently making their own:

if you just inhereted a substantial sum from a distant relative and are able to devote all your energy to music, starting RIGHT NOW, what kind of project would you start or be involved with?

me: I would do a minimalist post-kraut motor-psych thing with middle eastern tinged minor keys and touches of doom. subtle feed-back, dubby bass-lines and a flute here and there.

me: I would do a project along the lines of, inspired by Senking, Mitchel Akiyama, Pan Sonic, and Ryuji Ikeda. sustained tones, click-dub textures, deep bass, long tracks.

treblekicker

True Faith
If it was a rock group...

A few things spring to mind...

Pavement with added technology
Simple Neu like motorik stuff - but one 70 minute album structured like a DJ set
Updated Young Marble Giants for the 21st century
Something that sounded like a third lost Neutral Milk Hotel album
Like !!! but with a vocalist that didn't piss me off

If it was electronic...

Another album of burger/ink type stuff
Folk click house
Superpitcher with better vocals
Detroit grime (I've not really thought this through:))

If I had that sort of cash, I wouldn't bother trying to make any tunes. I'm not feeling that way inclined at the moment.

First thing I'd do is buy a couple of top-of-the-range turntables and chuck my ancient belt-drivers in the fucking bin.

Then I'd start a record label.

Badmarsh

Going to certain states in India (as I am Indian) and saving ancient styles of music, tradition and technique - i.e. keeping them in business basically - so much unheard of stuff out there.

zhao

there are no accidents
Badmarsh said:
Going to certain states in India and saving ancient styles of music, tradition and technique

a friend of mine was out there studying tabla and was telling me about kids who are destined to be master flautists who have the skin between their fingers cut at a very young age to accomodate the long distance between finger-holes on the giant flutes.

also of the "eternal music temples" there (the kind that inspired La Monte and Riley and Cale), where a constant rotation of players 24-7-365 keeps the music going, for ever. and the longest one has been going continuously for more than 500 years.

one of the first things you do should be setting up live streaming of these temples!!!

music. nonstop.

zhao

there are no accidents
atomly said:
That's not really that far off from a lot of stuff I've been working on...

nasty acid lines with 1/4, 2/4 grimey beat structures? bring it on! :)

how about MC's that leave room for the tracks to breathe?

and on second thought... forget the hiphop... I'm a do a Chinese grime 'ting... :)

martin

----
I'd like to be in a house band for Christian Voice. Play gigs to Xian fundamentalists, with songs like 'Abort Abortion Rights' and 'Smash the Wiccans'. Are you aware how big we'd be? Sure, there'd be some who'd claim all rock is the work of Satan, but we could win them round by getting arrested picketing an abortion clinic, or by doing a fund-raising gig for the Legion Of Mary. There's a small fortune waiting to be gathered by those ruthless enough to ditch their boring 'principles' and adopt a side-parting'd, halo'd business head. Then, 5 albums later, pretend you've been killed in a van accident, become an instant martyr alongside Sir Cliff Richard, and fuck off to Hawaii with the loot.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I would like to do a Grime gig with live music. I'm thinking it would take about three big bands, but imagine Jammers Destruction or Igloo or a ruff sqwad trumpet anthem or whatever. The sum that i would have inherrited would have to be huuuuuuge cause that would take at least a year of full time rehearsal with the big bands, producers, djs and Mcs. But a 90 min set with Dizzee, Kano, Wiley, Doogz and Trim (again the inheretance would be HUUUUUUGE) and then record it and sell 15 million copies worldwide. That would be worth a shitload of Chinyen.

puffpuff (another puff of the pipe :)

tryptych

waiting for a time
Its been mentioned here before, but I'd start a band playing "shoestep" ( or "shoegraze" - thanks, K-D) - MBV style walls of guitar noise with dubstep beats underpinning it.

Badmarsh

confucius said:
a friend of mine was out there studying tabla and was telling me about kids who are destined to be master flautists who have the skin between their fingers cut at a very young age to accomodate the long distance between finger-holes on the giant flutes.

also of the "eternal music temples" there (the kind that inspired La Monte and Riley and Cale), where a constant rotation of players 24-7-365 keeps the music going, for ever. and the longest one has been going continuously for more than 500 years.

one of the first things you do should be setting up live streaming of these temples!!!

music. nonstop.

Interesting! how a student learns of his/her guru/master etc is absolutely fascinating and probably something that should be posted elsewhere...firstly the idea of respect and secondly the way its taught.

(soon one day!!!)