Jump-up anyone?

Beatsmythe

I just want to know where the hell could I find some jump up, I've been looking and looking and can't find any. Is it extinct, or is it that I just don't know how to look for it? Help would be appreciated.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
What are you talking about? Are you looking for records, mp3's, mixes? Are you looking for old stuff or new jump-up (jungle? I am assuming)?

Badmarsh

Mickey "slim" finn...look at anything on urban takeover records from 1996-1998

dj aphrodite also

only 2 people really championing back then...

rest were all into hardstep/techstep

john eden

male pale and stale
Urbtake 1 - Aphrodite & Mickey Finn : Bad Ass / Drop Top Caddy . That would be a TUNE, Captain.

Also Prisoners of Technology and a host of other, lesser known, people.

nomos

Administrator
john eden said:
Urbtake 1 - Aphrodite & Mickey Finn : Bad Ass / Drop Top Caddy
lighta.gif
Boh

nomos

Administrator
The AWOL album recorded at the Ministry of Sound was pretty jump up-ish. It floats around on the p2p networks and probably eBay.

Has anyone noticed how the crowd sound on that recording sound like its looped and overdubbed? There are bits where it's really obvious.

Badmarsh

Nah that wasn't jump up...that was a good few years before...i'd call the awol cd - straight up 94 jungle...the best jungle cd ever imo...

jumpup came thru in 1996...i remember it distinctly...

nomos

Administrator
The AWOL disc is '95. And GQ actually shouts out 'to the jump up crew, keep jumpin up that's what we like.' Definitely on the cusp of jump up, in parts at least. But yeah they're also playing tunes like "Babylon" and "Fire."

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
The term jump up was about in 95, maybe even earlier. That CD was amazing. I can't believe they would have had to loop canned ravers going chicken oriental over the top. If you ever went to AWOL, Fever, Lazerdrome, Roller Express etc, you know they didn't need to fake that vibe. It wasn't some dubstep night... ;)

ripley

yeah, Prisoners of Technology, definitely
Also check Potential Bad Boy
a host of the earlier Trouble on Vinyl albums (before they started sucking).. especially "Danger"

nomos

Administrator
MATT MAson said:
The term jump up was about in 95, maybe even earlier. That CD was amazing. I can't believe they would have had to loop canned ravers going chicken oriental over the top. If you ever went to AWOL, Fever, Lazerdrome, Roller Express etc, you know they didn't need to fake that vibe.
Yeah the AWOL tapes had enough vibe to make your arm hairs stand up. The disc sounds like a bit dull in comparison I find. It's still great but not like the tapes. But the bit I mean sounds like a girl's voice doing kind of a "woohoo" thing and it repeats over and over. You can hear it during "Babylon." It could be a siren but it's weird sounding and the volume of it fades up and down.
MATT MAson said:
It wasn't some dubstep night... ;)
Lol! Them's fightin' words
;)

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
I know what you mean. She could of just whooped twice though.

Girls are crazy like that...

I can't front, I like dubstep nights, but I had higher hopes for the scene when Deekline used to put on Beat freaks at Gass and when FWD started, but it's probably better that it's building gradually rather than unsustainably like UKG did in 99.

Badmarsh

Get yoself down to DMZ mate...^^ you kno say the vibe in there is gettin back to the blueprint.

back to the jungle...gq sayin jump up in the air certainly does not constitute that the sound is jump up...that awol cd is certainly not jump up drum n bass...that was coined purely by mickey finn at a later date...

95 was by far the best year for jungle...a VINTAGE year...

reza

some jump up tracks:

dope skillz - six million ways to die (frontline)
shy fx - this style/funkindem up (SOUR/ebony)
aphrodite - the bomber (aphrodite recordings)
dj zinc - on fire tonite (ganja records)
dj ss - lighter (formation records)
rude boy monty - warp 10 (ganja records)

:eek:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
reza said:
some jump up tracks:

dope skillz - six million ways to die (frontline)
shy fx - this style/funkindem up (SOUR/ebony)
aphrodite - the bomber (aphrodite recordings)
dj zinc - on fire tonite (ganja records)
dj ss - lighter (formation records)
rude boy monty - warp 10 (ganja records)

:eek:

i'd agree w/shy fx, but i'd choose 'the wolf' and aphrodite; but none of the others are jump-up tracks- too early.

reza

matt b said:
i'd agree w/shy fx, but i'd choose 'the wolf' and aphrodite; but none of the others are jump-up tracks- too early.

why too early? those frontline and ganja tracks set the blueprint for that style, standard! imitated by countless subsequent tunes...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
reza said:
why too early?

time. jump-up started around 1996. most of the ones you mention are 1995, if i remember correctly

reza said:
those frontline and ganja tracks set the blueprint for that style, standard! imitated by countless subsequent tunes...

well, they're ace tunes, but a bit busy for jump-up.

dj hype's 'peace love and unity' would be the ganja tunes jump-up standard.

Badmarsh

Another absolutely BANGING tape...

DJ Hype with GQ at the Hardcore Dance Music Festival at Bagley's in 1996 - Live on Kiss100...

anyone go to this? remember this?

utter sickness...and now I listen to hype and i'm thinking what the hell happened to you?