u gotta keep ur eye on dnb..

DJL

i'm joking
Woah, that is actually good! Drum n Bass finally getting its act together maybe?
One good tune in I don't know how many years though is not enought yet.
BTW - who is that by and what's it called???

toasted

DJL said:
Woah, that is actually good! Drum n Bass finally getting its act together maybe?
One good tune in I don't know how many years though is not enought yet.
BTW - who is that by and what's it called???

heh.. bet you couldnt name 10 dnb tracks from the last 5 years.. how do you know the thousands that have come out are all shit? cos simon reynolds said so?

music nerds eh.. it must feel great to know *everything*

DJL

i'm joking
Correct, I couldn't name 10 dnb records from the past five years but I have been attending regular DnB events for the last twelve years where the latest stuff gets played and I've not heard anything that makes me go "wow!" since before 2000. Until now...

If Simon Reynolds thinks the same then this is coincidence. That you drew our attention to this tune from amongst the thousands of DnB releases nowadays betrays your music nerd leanings also! ;)

On a side note I love the name of this tune :D

Last edited:

jack

WOEBOT said:
the beats on practically every jungle tune ive heard recently are that kind of sloppy shrug. large directionless drums without any central punch, kind of like a crap heavy metal band's drumming (where the punch is at least delivered by the guitars)

you should hear the nightbreed/pendulum metal-dnb hybrid trend stuff of the past year or so. such toss.

Digital did some really great rootsy-dub stuff on V last year though.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I enjoy Pendulum stuff for two minutes at a time.

D'n'B jungle is a funny one. I listened to a load of Digital tunes on that chemical records site and a lot of them were OK by d'n'b standards but really not that special -- a few great exceptions though.

But at a club, done well, like last Thursday, I Love It So Much.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Paradox/Seba/Nucleus in whatever combination are consistently excellent.

Fracture & Neptune, Breakage, Macc, Fanu, Equinox, Senses are all superb. And Polska is a genius, the only disapointing thing is hes only had two releases.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Logos said:
Paradox/Seba/Nucleus in whatever combination are consistently excellent.

Fracture & Neptune, Breakage, Macc, Fanu, Equinox, Senses are all superb. And Polska is a genius, the only disapointing thing is hes only had two releases.

I was waiting for someone to state those names. Especially Paradox, Equinox, Breakage and Senses. I don't think anyone's mentioned the Technicality night at Herbal in here. Breakksssssss!

Read stuff here: http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/index.php?f=2

Can't say I was really feeling that Digital tune, but I'm sure there's a couple of his I've liked recently.

Also it seems completely ridiculous how little props AMIT gets - his stuff sounds like dubstep at half-time dnb tempo. 'Pirates' is an absolute smasher of his, on MDZ.

Last edited:

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
That first track's called Retard eh? Thats so funny cuz my first thought was "this track is retarded". And not in a good way. I've never actually heard clownstep but I've heard of it and clownstep seems like a good description. And thats not a good thing.

No good jungle tracks in the past few years? Anyone heard Squarepusher's Venus No. 17? Or Amen Andrews tracks? Or do these not count cuz they're not in the "scene"?

Actually, I listened to that track again and its not as bad as the first time. Maybe it grows on you and becomes retarded in a good way.

DJL

i'm joking
I like the name 'Retard' because it's like Digital has named it that as a comment on himself for having not done a track like this before!!! I've been listening to DnB recently and thinking that all it lacks is some producers trying some other things rather than the same old sounds and breaks of the last five years for it to get good again. DnB is so popular now it is stupid compared to when I first got into it. If the producers start doing some interesting things with the music who knows where it could go?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
actually matt, seeing as you're a house man, i'm surprised you didn't like V's Liquid V session. it's essentially 174bpm funky 'ouse! (or am i doing you a disservice...)

reza

MATT MAson said:
I fail to see why an ok D&B tune which doesn't amount to much more than a sped-up cover of the breakdown in 'Charlie Sez' by the Prodigy is going to knock the grime scene for six.

funny you should say that, sounds like the sample is taken from sudden def's 'let it hit dem' from 1992 on reinforced, also sampled in an early bad company tune (forget the name)...

it's 1 minute into this clip:

http://hardcorewillneverdie2.com/archive/new/letithit.ram

;)

Last edited: