Great recent r&b gems

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Not heard anything as good as Ashanti's 'Only U' or Amerie's '1 Thing' in a while. Any great r&b nuggets out there I've missed?

jd_

I really like "Body Kiss" by Black Ops. It's more swampy sounding than the tracks you lsited, a bit like Poppin Tags or something like that, but it's a good one.

Last edited:

gumdrops

the entire mariah carey album is probably the best R&B album of the past year or so. i also liked teedra moses' be your girl, pussycat dolls' dont cha (without busta on it), bilal's hollywood and the new pharrell single angel is pretty decent if you ignore the lyrics...

tate

Brown Sugar
gumdrops said:
pussycat dolls' dont cha (without busta on it)

but have you heard the original by tori alamaze? no comparison, really

you can read about both versions here

sherburne wrote a follow-up article for the ny times on the whole matter, where he gave a chronology of the unfolding of both versions. Unfortunately you have to pay to access the times' old articles

totally agree with you, though, about mariah and teedra, both fantastic

Last edited:

DavidD

can't be stopped
I kinda think both versions of "Doncha" are yawn. But thats neither here nor there...

Toni Braxton's twin new singles, "Please" and the incredible "Take This Ring" are worth seeking out.

The new Mary J Blige is one of the best albums I've heard in a while. Save the U2 cover.

Dubquixote

Submariner
R&B is a bit slow at the moment. Mary J's "Be Without You" is big on the radio right now, as well as the Jagged Edge / Biggie collab "Nasty Girl."

I haven't heard anything exciting in a bit though. Certainly nothing on par with "1 Thing."

DavidD

can't be stopped
I'm excited to hear the direction Tim&Bob go - their cuts on Bobby Valentino and Trey Songz albums were some of the best I heard this year.

Tim F

David what is/are Trey Songz? I love the Bobby Valentino singles (esp. "Give Me A Chance", "Slow Down" <i>sounds</i> awesome but as a song is kinda ew).

I really like La Toya's "All Eyez On Me".

DavidD

can't be stopped
071305_trey_songz180.jpg

Trey Songz is a pretty boring/generic singer but "Ur Behind" (off his album I Gotta Make It) has that awesome spacey/smokey tim&bob production like "Give Me a Chance," "Tell Me" or "Slow Down." (I hope you've heard "Tell Me"! Its got this weird beautiful eastern melodic thing going on with delicate violin melody....)

"Ur Behind" I'm not even positive is Tim&Bob but I can't honestly imagine anyone else is doing it. There are these little reverse-droplet noises that pitch upwards in the background, very (again) delicate, subtle production over cloudlike sound washes. - "shoooorday, I want you sooo so bad, you're runnin' through my mind, all I see is your behind." I think what I like about their production most (calling them 'beats' seems inaccurate/unfair, like trying to dial a phone number by mashing the keypad) is how well they disguise conspicuous often-clumsy male lyrical horniness with delicate grace. Oh, and my sister likes this song so I think it'd be fair to say this trick is effective.

Last edited:

Tim F

Thanks David! I'll try to download that when I get home.

I mentally group those Bobby Valentino songs (oh no! I haven't heard "Tell Me"!) with Rich Boy's "Get To Poppin" - did Tim'n'Bob do that too?

Also they remind me of Wayne Wonder's "You Make My Life Complete" (on Sars Riddim) and Sizzla's "Step Pan Dem" (on Ngozi Riddim) - that really luscious wet drum sound.

I actually just made a comp for some friends called "Wander Lust: Exploring the Outer Limits of Sumptuous R&B" which has stuff like "Give Me A Chance", Ashanti's "Voodoo", Janet Jackson's "Empty", Mya's "It's All About Me", Teedra Moses's "Backstroke"... I've been listening to it heaps myself.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Tell Me by Bobby Valentino. Gorgeous!

Whoa production credits....

Their credits include a who's who of the urban world: Sisqo's summer smash "Thong Song," Jon B's "They Don't Know," Tamia's "So Into You," as well as songs for Boyz II Men, TLC, Monica, Deborah Cox, Joe and many more. Collectively, Tim and Bob's work has resulted in more than 37 million albums sold, and with upcoming projects including Case, Tyrese, Me'shell N'degeocello, Ginuwine, Shante Moore and Dru Hill, that number will surely increase.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I like 'Come Get It' by Yummy Bingham. Just Blaze beat, I first heard the singer on 'No No No' by De La Soul, the catchiest tune on 'The Grind Date'. Points off for the obligatory verse from an MC to add some filth... Jadakiss, in this case.

Anyone heard Tha Rayne? Yummy's one of them. (Yummy! WTF? :))

gumdrops

Tate said:
but have you heard the original by tori alamaze? no comparison, really

i like both actually. the tori one has more of an intensely personal/not quite psycho but could be feel to the vocal which i really like but i still enjoy the pussycats one. i like the way their lead singer sings quite gutsily.

its all about...

'Take This Ring' by Toni Braxton.

At first I hated it cos it was all chorus but Toni really matches the beat well. Also 'Please' by Toni is a murkers - its all about the deep vocals!

R&B has been pretty swag in general though....no really swag!

believekevin

don't forget the youngest contender: Chris Brown! pre-teen ladies are loving this dude in the worst way stateside. "run it" was the breakout jam (tasteful with tacked on dark side in a Juelz Santana's feature.) his other track is going to be this generation's first slow-dance. though i can't recall the title, it has this hook "excuse me miss but i saw from across the room and i got to admit that you're making me want to say yeahhh..."