Grime in "foreign" languages?

DonRuba

Stocktown man
I'm just wondering what people think about artists from other countries than the UK doing grime. Is it still grime?

And how about the question of language? Is it still grime if it's done in another langauge than English? Or is it maybe even more fake if they try to speak English when they're from the UK themselves?

I wonder because of the debate in Swedish forums (like www.whoa.nu) regarding Swedish grime MC's. There's this Swedish guy called Max Peezay that does grime in Swedish (he was the guest on 1xtra Pirate Sessions a while ago and has collaborated with people like Trim and Ears), and the Swedish grime fans' opinions about him are very mixed.

Some think it's cool, others say that it automatically sucks, because grime should be done in English. Then a Swedish guy that spitted grime lyrics in English posted some snippets of his tunes and he got dissed by almost everyone. Mainly because he sucked but also because people thought it was pathetic of a Swede to try to sound like an British person.

I'm not sure what I think. Maybe it's really that simple, maybe grime must be done in English by a person born and raised (or at least one of the two) in the UK. But even if I thought so, I would have a hard time motivating this. Becuase then I must also be able to motivate why different rules should apply to grime than, for example, hiphop.

At the birth of hiphop, people saw hiphop as something typical to USA, maybe even typical to New York. Now it's worldwide, and I guess that most countries are like Sweden. That there are both people that rap in English and people that use their native tounge, and although some may prefer one of the two approaches they continue to exist side by side.

So if grime becomes popular enough (and of course that's a big if), why wouldn't the same thing be able to happen to grime?

Can someone explain why and how grime is more deeply connected with British culture and langauge than hiphop originally was with American culture and language?

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
DonRuba said:
Can someone explain why and how grime is more deeply connected with British culture and langauge than hiphop originally was with American culture and language?

off the top of my head without being an expert or anything -

coming out of jungle and garage, 's uk stuff innit

uk links to jamaica are a bit stronger than sweden's i reckon anyway, that's yr yardie flows and ragga bizness.

Grafta

So how about New Zealand Grime (not that its happening much)? We have a pretty big Dub, Reggae and Dancehall culture down here and it seems the JA/yardie thing you're talking about flows through to culture here. The Grime thing seems to me to be an extention of that. Does that make it any more legit? Its probably a perceived legitamacy i'm guessing.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Big up anyone doing their own honest version of Grime music. Even if it is in a different dialect, accent or even language. Just do it and make sure YOU like it. Other people may or may not catch onto what you are doing eventually. Don't listen to anyone who says you aren't allowed to do something that is real to you.

I'd rather hear a Swede spitting in a swedish accent, or even in swedish than in a bad english impersonation

Blackdown

nexKeysound
one function of grime having evolved so quickly, is that definitions of what it is and isn't havent kept up. either it's a defined sound (which i disagree with), therefore anyone can get involved and spit in their own tongue.

or it's a culture (which i think it is, given the demographic who invented it and given that the production is so diverse - from shake a leg to pulse x) in which case you cant have anything but grime from a given UK social background.

logan's right though, if you want to do your thing and you dont fit grime's demographic, then do it and dont listen to anyone. UK hip hop's core mistake was that it spent too much time in awe of the US. Conversely US jungle took years to get off the ground because it allowed itself to be dictated to by the UK. Jungle, hardcore and UK garage show sounds evolve best when they take the initative.

KaBuT

Logan Sama said:
Big up anyone doing their own honest version of Grime music. Even if it is in a different dialect, accent or even language. Just do it and make sure YOU like it. Other people may or may not catch onto what you are doing eventually. Don't listen to anyone who says you aren't allowed to do something that is real to you.

I'd rather hear a Swede spitting in a swedish accent, or even in swedish than in a bad english impersonation

Word