Tropicália

run_time

I picked up the Soul Jazz compilation "Tropicália - A Brazilian Revolution In Sound" without much knowledge of the era or its music, particularly for someone who has a skeptical attitude to many things given the 'latin' prefix. Am now excited in a guarded way about the Tropicalia festival on at the Barbican. Does anyone have an opinion on the people curating it and whether its going to be a (un)missable?

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
well gal costa is going to be doing a set of new and old material, which should be interesting, as her old stuff is great, & os mutnates are supposedly reforming to play the festival, which could be the best thing ever because os mutantes are really the best of the tropicalia bunch that i've heard, and pretty much one of the best bands of the 60s in any style of music.

tom ze is going to be playing there too buti've not heard any of his music, but he's supposed to be damn good. dunno about any of the other stuff, as far as i know none of the other groups playing were a part of the original tropicalia movement.

zhao

there are no accidents
big satan said:
tom ze is supposed to be damn good.

a few very bright moments in his career, but a lot of it is not particularly interesting goofy bannanas.