Berlin?

atomly

atomiq one
not the group, unfortunately.

i moved to berlin a week ago and i'm just getting situated. other than the obvious (minimal techno superclubs, hardwax, etc)... anything i should make sure to check out?

Brokeman

Living Too Late
there was a really weird little club/bar called "dr. pong"*when i was there that was a lot of fun. very berlin, in that it was nearly impossible to find, had a tiny sign and required you knocking on various doors once inside to actually find the place.

if i remember right, you would pay a small fee to play a ping pong tournament on a large circular table with many people simultaneously and the winner got crowned Dr. Pong for the night.

also, go to the fleamarket in treptow if it's still going. it's huge and sells everything from tractor engines to soviet army fatigues. come to think of it, there's another hidden cafe there too; look for a concrete bunker near the stream and go down the stairs to the water, there's an unmarked door to get in.

nochexxx

harco pronting
transmediale is one of the best electronic festivals i've been to...... http://www.transmediale.de/page/home.0.3.html

jean perry played there the other night as did felix kubin and numerous others. jean improvised with a puppet during his 'total playback set', it was supposed to be quite a sight. i hope to be rocking just like perry at 78!

one year i saw the most amazing line up, ilpo vaisenen, leaf cutter john, felix, the bug, thomas koner, many others who i've forgotten..... all over an extremly loud quadraphonic soundsystem!!

and for record shops, dense is great and now shares the premises with staubgold i believe.
http://www.dense-shop.de/

ambrose

kaffeeburger on ????? strasse? (tortstrasse?) on the way to rosenthalerplatz hosts "russendisko" i think every other week, apparently full of russian ex pats and lots of russian ska punk and pop. has spawned a cd (on trikont) and a (very good) book. the dude in charge is called vladimir kaminer

zhao

there are no accidents
atomly hopefull I'll be following in your footsteps soon... just have to get some things in order here first.

how do you like it so far? is it freezing or what?

do you speak German? do you have any difficulty at all communicating? my friends in Berlin tell me it will not be a problem at all... especially in the work-place but everywhere people all speak english.

I just got a German Dancehall CD which has some wicked tracks on it... Ja accented German is kind of strange but works. sort of between the fucked-up dancehall of the Bug and the real thing. you might want to look into that scene. also there's mad free-jazz up there but don't know if you down with that.

Last edited: