The Blog Paradox

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Was just reading Tim Lucas's Blog and he was writing about the dilema of wasting his professional time writing a blog. He basically wrote a detailed review on his Blog that sorta came at cross-purposes with his offline publication.

Now that offline journos are writing Blogs, for which they get no money, is it eroding the value of the written word, in much way the internerd is eroding the value of music?

Woebot

Buick6 said:
Was just reading Tim Lucas's Blog and he was writing about the dilema of wasting his professional time writing a blog. He basically wrote a detailed review on his Blog that sorta came at cross-purposes with his offline publication.

Now that offline journos are writing Blogs, for which they get no money, is it eroding the value of the written word, in much way the internerd is eroding the value of music?

I don't think so. If done correctly a blog can be a very useful tool to tune your audience into your way, like a focal point for people interested in what you have to say.

I don't know if the comparison with music downloads makes sense, downloading illeagally is a de-intensifier (the fact that the downloader isn't paying any money is the key) whereas people writing for free is an intensifier. They're doing it, not because they're frustrated with the state of the printed realm (stops and thinks, maybe that's arguable though...) but because they're overflowing with passion!

avida_1000101

I think, if anything, it's revitalizing the word. No editors, no censorship. As a writer nothing can be more stimulating. If someone isn't willing to work as hard on an original content piece without the promise of financial compensation, then they're just lazy, they don't respect their craft. I write because it's what I do. So yeah it might be stifling to people who are in it for the money and not to communicate.

bruno

est malade
i don't write (i mean i can barely cobble together a decent text for this forum), but i do other things. and in my case i find that struggling against an external 'limit' (be it an editor or someone who engages with your work before it is settled in its final form) sometimes makes me push the boundaries of what i do more than if i were the only arbitrer. and frequently, when i see other people's work, i find their independent work is less daring than that which is born of a dance/struggle with limits. there are exceptions, people with massive self-discipline and a capacity for self-demolition that overrides this need, and the inverse, people so constrained by limits that they conform and identify with them. but maybe a middle ground isn't a bad thing?

bruno

est malade
i'm sorry, i completely overlooked the monetary aspect. but for a reason: i don't care about money ;)