The shins

mms

sometimes
have you heard this band ?
they actually sound 37 years old but they are a new band, it's not that they are bad but they do sound exactly like a californian 60's band.

This reminds me heavily of a band like the brand new heavies and acid jazz. i don't understand how this is acceptable really.

hint

party record with a siren
I got "New Slang" on 7 inch several years ago. I like this song very much.

Don't think I could hack a whole album though.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I kinda like Shins...("Shins" and "kinda" seem to go hand-in-hand)...

recreating a specific period/setting is the definition of acid jazz inbreeding, and there is a glut of ersatz 60's California sunny harmonists (ladies and gentlemen of the canyon) out there at the moment, but why then is it OK for, say, Espers (or even Vashti Bunyan) to make music as if the last 35 years haven't happened?...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
hint said:
I got "New Slang" on 7 inch several years ago. I like this song very much.

Don't think I could hack a whole album though.

Their albums are only half an hour long - just about the perfect length for their kind of sound in my opinion. Anymore than that and it'd get irritatingly twee.

I actually really like them.. they never claim to be doing anything new, but they do what they do really well.

What is it that's unacceptable about them MMS?

mms

sometimes
UFO over easy said:
Their albums are only half an hour long - just about the perfect length for their kind of sound in my opinion. Anymore than that and it'd get irritatingly twee.

I actually really like them.. they never claim to be doing anything new, but they do what they do really well.

What is it that's unacceptable about them MMS?

its longer than that i think
the unacceptable thing is actually unblikingly passing it off as new music when it's just an authentic pastiche inna style not dissimilar to how acid jazz artists behaved inthe 90's. everyone knew that back then, and in a way it provided a gateway function to and less known, praised music,which is something i'm sure they were aware of, but love and brian wilson have even been touring lately so it's not possible to say that the shins even provide that kind of function. they are simply a very good pastiche but this is part of the musical lan dscape now and no one even bats an eyelid.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
mms said:
its longer than that i think
the unacceptable thing is actually unblikingly passing it off as new music when it's just an authentic pastiche inna style not dissimilar to how acid jazz artists behaved inthe 90's. everyone knew that back then, and in a way it provided a gateway function to and less known, praised music,which is something i'm sure they were aware of, but love and brian wilson have even been touring lately so it's not possible to say that the shins even provide that kind of function. they are simply a very good pastiche but this is part of the musical lan dscape now and no one even bats an eyelid.

The one I have is 34 minutes.. :)

But I don't really think anyone is passing it off as totally new music.. one of the key aspects of the whole indie kid culture that seems to be so dominant at the moment is that they're into everything 'vintage', whether it's clothes or music. All the bands they're into are open about their influences.. the whole ironic electro-pop rivivalism thing is just one example of that, the Shins and their ilk are another.