Any Wordpress users?

Rambler

Awanturnik
I'm getting a bit bored with Blogger these days. I notice that WordPress seems to be the way the free blogging market is going at the moment, and I've liked the look and feel of every WordPress blog I've seen over almost every Blogger blog I've seen (that's no dig, I just like the features and stuff). So I'm contemplating a switch. Anyone reading this who knows about WordPress, particularly if you've made the switch at some point from Blogger yourself, it would be hugely appreciated if you could answer the following questions for me:

1) What are the actual benefits of WP?

2) How easy/possible is it to transfer your Blogger archives onto your WordPress account? (I've got nearly three years' worth of stuff that I don't want to lose, so this would be a clincher)

3) How flexible is the free WP account?

4) What are the disadvantages/niggles?

Cheers, thx.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I use WP. Used to use blogger long time gone.

1. Loads of free sex and drugs*. No, really, you do*. It's a bit more flexible than blogger. Easier to do pix and stuff. You can install it on your webspace and do without the "blogger" URL so you don't look like a blogerati crackwhore. I mean, lets face it, noone famous uses blogger anymore?*

2. It worked for me and lots of other people. Try it -- you shouldn't lose anything.

3. Dunno. I got WP for free, got it installed in my webspace, all good.

4. I dont know how easy it is to install cos I a) got fabulously talented webmonkey to do it for me and b) I get Eden to fiddle with it when things go wrong. So, AFAICT, it's a bitch to install. But then I am famously ignorant / incompetent with software. I have made a strenuous effort not to learn any new software since 1996.

(Side note 1 -- why isn't there a web design package as easy to use as, say Xpress is for page layout? Why do all web packages really, at heart, want you to learn how to programme? What a load of fucking toss.)

(Side note 2 -- other than Live. And Reason. But they don't count, cos you don't really have to "learn" them.)

And it's still... a bit clunky IMO. It does loads of geeky stuff but it still won't let you easily design pages or do sub-categories without getting really wanky about it.

And it still fucks up posts occasionally for no apparent reason. That really pisses me off.

And it still doesn't do the spam management thing all that well.

And... it's open source. Nobody gets paid to maintain. That's got to be a bad idea, hasn't it? :eek: