Best find/ most regretted sale - loss

D7_bohs

This has probably been done before and if so I apologise, but if not ....
2 questions;
1)Best junk shop/ charity shop find
and
2) record you most regret selling

I'm guessing a fair few people here have -or have had - the sort of record collections that act as a bank in times of stress, and may therefore have disposed of loads of stuff they later regret; and, equally many people have been unemployed/ underemployed and have spent many a morning sifting the oxfam/ sue ryder megastore

to kick off;
Best finds - almost the entire Stockhausen DG catalogue on vinyl at a bazaar in my daughter's school - someone connected with the Goethe institute had donated their record library

Biggest regret - Throbbing Gristle - second annual report - got about a quid for it......

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dunno if it fits exactly but you've reminded me of how my copy of United by Throbbing Gristle has simply disappeared. I got all my boxes of seven inches and looked through them from one end to the other but I just cannot find it. Also I left a bag of records in the boot of a minicab once but that's my own stupid fault...

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
D7_bohs said:
Biggest regret - Throbbing Gristle - second annual report - got about a quid for it......

that's been repressed though :)

biggest regret... probably The Residents - Santa Dog 7". They sent me a copy and I sold it :eek:

D7_bohs

IdleRich said:
Dunno if it fits exactly but you've reminded me of how my copy of United by Throbbing Gristle has simply disappeared. I got all my boxes of seven inches and looked through them from one end to the other but I just cannot find it. Also I left a bag of records in the boot of a minicab once but that's my own stupid fault...

thanks - now I've realised that i haven't seen my copy for a while either...

labrat

hot on the heels of love
recently (Saturday) TOD DOCKSTADER Recorded Music for Film, Radio & Television: Electronic (Boosey & Hawkes ) three quid in a local second hand record shop.

my most regretted sale is a Throbbing Gristle one too (how odd???)-assume power focus-what WAS I thinking*

* probably "I WANT TO GO OUT -whats worth money?"

Last edited:
most regretted sale: nearly all my hardcore rave records from 90-93 sold around 94 when i was 21 and thought i should only listen to "serious" music - idiot......
a nice DJ in malta gave me his copy of Manix "Feel Real Good" last year which I had been trying to replace for about 10 years! that was kind.

best junk shop finds = too numerous to mention....
silver bullet - 20 seconds to comply in oxfam in wood green ?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Most regretted not-buy was coming across Aphex's first single, Pacman's 'Power Pill' in Auckland for NZ$2. I knew exactly what it was, gave it a listen, didn't like it, and put it back in the second-hand crate in the hope some genuine fan would stumble across it.

The thing is, I'm sure I wouldn't want this thing, but still the collector in me is like "idiot! that's an important record!" I reckon that's an ugly impulse.

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
ebay

best find - an original copy of Club Ska '67 in mint condition in oxfam for 10p.
lost - Drexciya - Bubble Metropolis EP, lent to someone i lost contact with..

But nowadays charity/junk shops seem to have a far better idea of the value of old vinyl than they used too, especiall oxfam. In my local anything that isn't the standard james last or Music for pleasure tat is usually over £5, I know that a lot of charity shops are now selling items via ebay, maybe thats it ..

nomos

Administrator
Mine is music gear-related because I didn't read the instructions properly before I started typing:

Best:
I found a Korg Polysix in my neighbour's garbage. There was a note on it that said "This really doesn't work." I took it home, found the problem and had it fixed for a small amount. Then I sold it for a large amount on eBay :D

Worst:
Waldorf 4-Pole. I still miss it.

Last edited:

Leo

best find: possibly the orginal copy of the justified ancients of mu mu "1987" lp that was recalled from shops and destroyed (the master too) in the abba snafu. the best part is i got it for free: a friend had a bad split with her husband, who left a tons of his records and other stuff in her house. she was going to donate it all to charity and encouraged me to take whatever i wanted. have to admit i felt a little bad taking advantage of the situation.

dumbest sale: dozens of rare old punk singles that i stupidly unloaded in the late 80s because they took up too much room.

zhao

there are no accidents
I found a copy of La Monte Young's only rock'n'roll band 2CD set called "Just Stomping", and lost one of the CD's! arrrrrgh! who knows how much it's worth because it cannot be found on Amazon or Ebay...