Taking Photos of People

luka

do you do it? do you ask permission?

people have come up to me and asked to take my picture a few times. i don't mind. i would never do that though. it;d be well embaressing. i wouldn't do it surrerptiosuly either though. i'd be too scared and it would feel evil and creepy. i even prang out taking a picture in front of other people, let alone of them.

sufi

lala
'may i steal your soul please?'

love taking photos, but i'm always hesitant to snap people, the complications are so much more than with still life,
the most interesting critiscism i got of my photography skills is that my photos are often very 2D, this is maybe related to not photographing people

Jim Daze

It's tricky, I've started holding my camera at waist height and slyly taking pictures of people, obviously the're not always on target, otherwise you have to ask, although I must admit I've never done this, mainly i just take pictures of puddles and rubbish, got hundreds of em.

O

Omaar

If I'm travelling in a country where it's particularly culturally in sensitive i try and ask, either with words or gestures. Otherwise I shoot at waist height like Jim. Also my camera has quite a large zoom that's not so obtrusively large that it attracts attention so sometimes I shoot with that. I am quite shy about asking people if I can take their photo but I'd like to do that more. Does anyone have a flickr page or something like that? maybe we could start a dissensus photo club.

Last edited:

linebaugh

I bought a used dslr camera to take photos of my tattoos because I don't want to buy a decent phone. Turns out it's not great for tattoo photos either but I didn't return it because I found it's quite fun to take pictures of people and places. Not strangers, but friendly people in other towns that are 3rd degree acquaintances who you will likely only ever hang out with once. Great subjects.

mixed_biscuits

I bought a used dslr camera to take photos of my tattoos because I don't want to buy a decent phone. Turns out it's not great for tattoo photos either but I didn't return it because I found it's quite fun to take pictures of people and places. Not strangers, but friendly people in other towns that are 3rd degree acquaintances who you will likely only ever hang out with once. Great subjects.
You might need a different lens and/or lighting for tattoos

shakahislop

i hate this style of music / celeb photography. it's not just this lachapelle geezer, there's loads of it about. actually i saw an exhibition of similar stuff at fotographiska, the same place that this piece is advertising. it's the colours i think.

shakahislop

that building is so cool, but I’ve never been inside. It opened right before Covid, kind of forget about it. Most of the shows haven’t really been my thing.
Always feels like a bit of a rip off, $25 is a bit step for a place which isn't huge. I've seen some good stuff there, one or two great things, and quite a lot of stuff which is along the same lines as the thing I posted in this thread. The curation falls a bit too much on the tourist attraction end of the spectrum rather than the arty end of the spectrum that I'm into.

That said, it has been great to see things like a Warhol factory exhibition they had, and a celebrity photography exhibition, and to wander around and reflect on that style of image. Coz I really do find a lot of it not only ugly but a bit immoral, or at least a negative force. I think it's part of the damaging excess thing that happened from the 70s to the 00s, that was the precursor to the moralistic backlash that's happening now. Interesting to come across these feelings of disgust.

Reactions: Leo

shakahislop

I'm pretty sure I saw a thing there that was a room of projected videos of pardoned former death row inmates telling thier stories direct to camera. The screens were in portrait and massive, it was just you staring directly into the eyes of people telling these stories, with them staring directly back into yours. That piece was really good, it felt really unmediated, or at least mediated in a way that didn't disguise anything.

shakahislop

Similarly I've been to ICP on Delancey twice, and once it was outrageously good, and the other time it was incredibly boring. I suppose you notice it more when you have to pay to get in.

Generally I find the Pace-Gagosian-David Zwirner-Dia route in Chelsea to be the most reliably great way to look at art downtown. Helps that its free.

Reactions: Leo