Rats rats laid out flat

Lichen

Legion

If you think you have one rat, you have 20. If you think you have 20 you have a thousand. etc

I lived in a house last year with many, many rats. We rather hopefully referred to this massive infestation as The Rat, or Mr Rat. Sightings were frequent and always shocking.

I posoined, I'm afraid. Tried trapping but with no success and setting the trap was terrifying.

The poison worked, but you have to keep at it for a while, refilling the (pet-proof) tray a few times.

I don't know your rat welfare policy, so sorry if this offends.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Don't worry, that doesn't offend at all. Dead or alive I want them out of my flat. We had a guy round who left some traps and they've claimed one victim. Apparently though they are getting in through the drains and in to the whole building so it looks as though all the flats are going to have to get together to beat this menace.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I've already got too many animals in my house and I can't be arsed to feed a cat, clear out the litter tray etc - life's too short.
Plus, the way I'm picturing it, the whole infrastructure of the block of flats is swarming with vermin, I think something more heavy duty than a single cat is going to be required, I want to pump gas into the drains or something.

D

droid

Traps and poison at the drains outside, at any cracks in the walls, and in the basement/lift shaft/rubbish area etc... Gas down the pipes if necessary. A bruiser of a cat would be handy in keeping your flat itself rat free - worth borrowing one if possible - just to see how many it catches?

Sounds like you need professional help. Just remember - yer just thinning out their numbers - whatever you do, theyll always be there... unless you get this lad in:

Nut_Tree_Pied_Piper_PC.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
They're Back!

Got rid of them two years ago... only to hear the telltale scratchings in the ceiling once again plus a dead one was stinking out the communal corridor for weeks before we finally located it in the cupboard under the stairs. Persistent little buggers they are but their previous nemesis is coming round tomorrow, they won't know what hit 'em (I hope).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oddly good timing - I saw a mouse skittering around in my kitchen this morning. Cute, but not great news for hygiene standards. It raced around a tight corner on the smooth tiled floor and actually did that funny arse-overtaking-head thing like in a cartoon.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Nothing is working. Has anyone got any ideas on this at all? I'm desperate. Please.

i read somewhere that noise scares rats - if so will leaving radios on in several rooms deter the fuckers? probably not.
time to hire professional exterminators, that is if the can definitely do the job?

STN

sou'wester
Do not hire rentokil, they'll just act as if it's your problem, which if you're paying them, it fucking well isn';, they also leave you guessing about stuff and having to try and deduct solutions for the problem. Again, not really what I expect when I pay someone.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i read somewhere that noise scares rats - if so will leaving radios on in several rooms deter the fuckers? probably not.
time to hire professional exterminators, that is if the can definitely do the job?
Already had two professional exterminators come out four or five times between them but all they do is leave more poison and say "it'll work eventually" as the noises get louder and spread to more territory each day. Maybe the rats are eating the poison and breeding their way to superrat status.
I got one of these

http://www.mirrorreaderoffers.co.uk/item-FF-MU462/?LinkRef=F.R

but then I read the small print and realised that the noise doesn't penetrate through walls or ceilings and thus the thing is no good if they are up there.

"Do not hire rentokil"
Noted.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I really sympathise, I hate rats. I had them and it drove me to utter despair, rentokill got it in the end but it took weeks. Rats aren't like mice, they're more solitary if that helps, chances are its probably only one or two hence the difficulty in it eating the poison, it's not like mice where you can have hundreds of the bastards.

You could try lion poo :

http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/p...rs/silent-roar-lion-manure/ClassID.2000004185

which works for cats apparently, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work for rodents as well, but I can't find anything on it working for them on the net. Worth a go though, good luck.

Lichen

I have a friend in the extermination trade - Chris the Wasp - I'll ask him what the in-extremis solution is.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks for tips everyone. Lion poo eh....?

"I have a friend in the extermination trade - Chris the Wasp - I'll ask him what the in-extremis solution is."
That would be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

Someone suggested sticking a ferret up there which definitely appeals and one might even fit through the gap.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thanks for tips everyone. Lion poo eh....?

Fine if you don't mind having a flat that smells of lion shit, I guess.

Someone suggested sticking a ferret up there which definitely appeals and one might even fit through the gap.

I don't think any sentence on Dissensus has had so much potential for being taking out of context.

Good luck getting rid of the blighters. In the meantime, here's some light reading: H.P.Lovecraft, The Rats In The Walls.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
we got em too.. totally petrifying

thought in this situation id be all up for finding a humane solution but now i've seen it i just want to bash it to death

good luck rich