CRICKET!! breaking news, gossip, lies, whatever etc..

benjybars

village elder.
I thought that seeing as cricket is the best sport in the world (apart from all the other sports that are really good) it should have it's own thread .. so here it is.

yeah, so England kind of fucked up the first test against sri lanka with some atrocious fielding but all the batsmen looked in good touch. I hope they stick with monty panesar over the summer as he looks really promising. plus i love the way he goes crazy when he takes a wicket.

also, no cricket on normal TV?? WTF??!! at least it gives Test Match Special a chance to shine i suppose. Blowers was on great form at Lords.

here's a good photo to get things rolling

Rambler

Awanturnik
Bush has certainly perfected that 'wallop and hope' look of early Flintoff. I think he's got a bright future. :)

S

simon silverdollar

benjybars said:
I. I hope they stick with monty panesar over the summer as he looks really promising. plus i love the way he goes crazy when he takes a wicket.

udal or panesar, though?

jenks

thread death
got to be monty.

what worries me though is the lack of strength in depth for england - we were one bowler too short against sri lanka and it's probably the first time that no-one stepped up to the job in over two years.

when are harmison, jones, flintoff and hoggard all going to play togther again??

benjybars

village elder.
simon silverdollar said:
udal or panesar, though?

monty all day are you mad??!! udal's about 56 years old... although monty blatantly needs to work on his fielding and batting.

i'd like to see more of owiash shah aswell but dunno who could make way for him? collingwood maybe?

does anywhere here follow county cricket? c'mon you pears! (worcestershire)

benjybars

village elder.
jenks said:
maybe not Shah...

young Essex lad Alastair Cook is a real star of the future though

yeah fair enough, stupid run out.

Cook has performed really well... dunno though, he seems almost too correct and clean cut for me to be really excited about him.

on a TMS tip - why is mike gatting on air?? he's got a really annoying voice, says nothing useful and was generally a discgrace to the game in his playing days. brig back Vic Marks!!

S

simon silverdollar

let's talk about pietersen's reverse sweep for 6 off murali.
probably my favourite sporting moment for years- its showed such complete arrogance, but i just love him for it.

benjybars

village elder.
simon silverdollar said:
let's talk about pietersen's reverse sweep for 6 off murali.
probably my favourite sporting moment for years- its showed such complete arrogance, but i just love him for it.

I still haven't seen this! everyone's been talking about it...

jenks

thread death
saw it again today - ridiculous - made me choke on my cornflakes

KP is an amazing batsman but i worry he'll blow it in the big matches with his over weening need to be the centre of attention - i think he is at his best when he really does take some time to get started - i.e against the aussies in the final test when he really did play a match winning innings
apparently he is now in the top ten batting rankings

Rambler

Awanturnik
According to the Guardian's report, KP got a bit of a telling off from Fletcher after going out very shortly after that reverse sweep; something along the lines of 'you showboating and getting out precipitated a five-wicket collapse from the tail'. Seems a bit harsh to me; the guy had scored 142, he'd made his contribution to the innings...

anamika

can you help?

I am flitting between the england and india test match....both have low firt innings scores....and interesting. Did just notice today that Sehwag has shaved his head. Anyone know the reason? Am perplexed!

benjybars

village elder.
jesus, what happened in the third test??

fair enough, murali is genius... BUT if we can't beat sri lanka at home it doesn't look too good for retaining the ashes

anyway, at least monty had a good series. he even got 24 not out in the last innings.. potential all-rounder perhaps?

jenks

thread death
just check out Monty at 2:50 - ball of the series

I think England has bounced back well - they've thrashed one of the best batting sides in the world in successive tests with what amounts to 3/4 of their best players.

Monty obviously is a star in the making but we're still lacking a consistent fast bowler whilst Jones remains injured.

Who makes way for Flintoff when he comes back - can't be Bell now, suppose it'll be Collingwood (we'll miss his fielding)

A fantastic series spoilt only by the fact that those of us who are Sky-less are reduced to watching Channel 5 for half an hour, just not the same. :(

S

simon silverdollar

it's a real shame that collingwood might be the one forced out of the team. what do people think of dropping trescothick instead? he scored highly in this last test but was very lucky to do so, and overall he's obviously way off form.