"Electronic Instruments Are Toys" - Keith Jarrett

Jazzbo

Just finished watching the C4 docu on Jarrett: it was ok I thought, as insanely reductive TV arts progs go - obv. authorised and arselicking, w/ no dissenting voices, but at least there was no Stanley Crouch either (who crops up on that recent Electric Miles DVD w/ Jarrett, Corea, Holland, DeJohnette etc. to once again slag off Bitches Brew etc. ) Jarrett, needless to say, is v. convinced of his own genius, and the sight of him still twisting and gurning away at the piano while noodling out some half-arsed standards improv is the v. stuff of The Fast Show's Jazz club. Despite previous w/ Nucleus, his own jazz-rock fusion group (that predated Bitches Brew?) Ian Carr, the interviewer, didn't challenge Jarrett's typically dismissive attitude to the 'fun' 'funk' of the Miles group - KJ famously didn't get on w/ the musically 'unsophisticated' Michael Henderson - whereas the cheerfully beached Chick Corea still obv. digs that stuff and it's electronic DIFFERENCE to the same old acoustic ho-hum

The footage of the American quartet, w/ Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian, was, however, breathtaking - seemingly one of the few playing situations where Jarrett didn't always get his own way, or was put to some kind of test, not least by the awesome Redman who drily remarked that his previous experience w/ Ornette Coleman was a lot more free, "if you know what I mean..." Seeing Charlie Haden strumming his bass like a big guitar was worth staying in for, too

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Jazzbo said:
Just finished watching the C4 docu on Jarrett: it was ok I thought... Ian Carr, the interviewer, didn't challenge Jarrett's typically dismissive attitude to the 'fun' 'funk' of the Miles group - KJ famously didn't get on w/ the musically 'unsophisticated' Michael Henderson - whereas the cheerfully beached Chick Corea still obv. digs that stuff and it's electronic DIFFERENCE to the same old acoustic ho-hum
I was cooking so I missed most of it but I had a look at some of it while the wife was watching and FUCK ME was that footage of him in the Miles Davis band doing that funk-jazz stuff just AMAZING or what? Jumpin' and gurnin' like he had a cattle prod up him. Mental!

Nice if strange house too. But that "Spirits" stuff -- OK, you took too much acid... but do you really have to do this?

Still. Bad Manners covering "Black Night".

It's the future.

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
I was cooking so I missed most of it but I had a look at some of it while the wife was watching and FUCK ME was that footage of him in the Miles Davis band doing that funk-jazz stuff just AMAZING or what? Jumpin' and gurnin' like he had a cattle prod up him. Mental!It's the future.

new dvd out of miles electric era sets and snippets called 'miles electric: different kind of blue.' i think that footage is from it.