D1 - Give It Back

gek-opel

entered apprentice
When it gets going its very very ravey or maybe R'n'Bish, maybe somewhere in between... it kind of sounds like handbag Dubstep! (I was slightly doubtful about this based on the rhodes stuff at the start, but when it kicks in its actually really weird, really perverse in a way). Im not sure what you would mix with this tho in the rest of the dubstep canon... This pulls dubstep into a very undark, unmasculine direction as well... so is it getting a release? Skream's obviously loving it based on his intro on the mp3 rip...

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I like it to begin with, but the rhythmic meat of the tune sounds a bit like Hybrid or similar late-90s middle of the road, unambitious dance.

D1 has done an out and out Detroit strings tune which I think is overall better than this though. Name escapes me at the moment. You could see this one coming though, what with his "You're not alone" bootleg.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Detroit strings tune? That doesnt surprise me, the bass riff that comes in on this is pure detroit. Isn't he like 18 though?

I just really love how he's build the strings around the chords in the sample, and how it sweeps in & out of half time.

Dunno what you'd play it with gek, skream just mashed it into another techy wobbler but I guess that's his perogative.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
D1 had a "you're not alone" bootleg--- damn that would be Handbag-Dubstep (maybe... Bag-step...!) gold... is it on any mixes about?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
D1 had a "you're not alone" bootleg--- damn that would be Handbag-Dubstep (maybe... Bag-step...!) gold... is it on any mixes about?

You can hear both the tunes I'm on about - the Olive bootleg and the really string led detroit tune - in the Kode 9 show with D1 as special guest (10-11-05).

The string-y one is at 40 mins.

The Olive boot is at about 1hr 20

Should be on barefiles.

Thing I like about D1 is how his percussion just sizzzles.

nomos

Administrator
Listening right now... I'm not so sure about this. I like the undark (there's a good term) - I've been on about the bright strands of dubstep for a while. And I always like a well-placed chipmunk, but it sounds kind of easy-listening really. Maybe I have to hear it on a system. It's quite a change for D1 though - I usually find him too clinical and cold. Not a productive kind of cold.

Still listening... The part near the end where it works up into a bit of a frenzy is kind of cool. It seems to be taking a lot of cues from grime. I could see it charting with a bit of luck as well - very glossy video, cutting between D1 at the club and at night on a yacht, something about a stormy relationship. He's trying hard to do right by her while he manages his career, but she's not having it.

PS: Dave and anyone, you can hear a clip from Stella Sessions on acidnouveaux.squarespace

Last edited:

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
If there's a lot of sub that you can't hear on the MP3 then I'll reserve judgement, otherwise really not into it.

mms

sometimes
Listening right now... I'm not so sure about this. I like the undark (there's a good term) - I've been on about the bright strands of dubstep for a while. And I always like a well-placed chipmunk, but it sounds kind of easy-listening really. Maybe I have to hear it on a system. It's quite a change for D1 though - I usually find him too clinical and cold. Not a productive kind of cold.

Still listening... The part near the end where it works up into a bit of a frenzy is kind of cool. It seems to be taking a lot of cues from grime. I could see it charting with a bit of luck as well - very glossy video, cutting between D1 at the club and at night on a yacht, something about a stormy relationship. He's trying hard to do right by her while he manages his career, but she's not having it.

PS: Dave and anyone, you can hear a clip from Stella Sessions on acidnouveaux.squarespace

he he
he sounds fairground candy to me, rotting sweetness wrapped in hard cheap plastic. i like that , you get that with some of skreams tracks,something macabre about the brightness, iit's not 'really' bright

nomos

Administrator
something macabre about the brightness, iit's not 'really' bright
yeah i like that idea
--
it's D1 so there's gotta be some sub-weight there but i think it'll be a matter of whether it's sort of tacked on as a dubstep requisite or if it's really adding something - counter-balancing or whatever.

mms

sometimes
yeah i like that idea
--
it's D1 so there's gotta be some sub-weight there but i think it'll be a matter of whether it's sort of tacked on as a dubstep requisite or if it's really adding something - counter-balancing or whatever.

he's got such a talent for sakamotoesque melodies, really heart pulling stuff, but his basslines dont match.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
They are club-functional...and work in that context.

There's one track of his on allstars 4 ('Greazy') where the bassline dominates the track and has melodic content too...and I think its one of his best.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Dunno what you'd play it with gek, skream just mashed it into another techy wobbler but I guess that's his perogative.
Nice tune, cool sounds, nice chipmunk, but yeah, lacking a bit of danger in the rhythm / bass area. To me it sounds like it'd make a lot more sense as a sudden burst of brightness in a set than it does stuck out on its own. Like it's meant to be a distant landmark pointing out a new direction rather than a prototype.

turtles

in the sea
Mmmmm loving this a whole lot. Have been listening to a lot of proper UKG from back in the day recently and yeah, definitely harkens back to that, which i think is great. No rhythmic danger = meh, so what? it's got melody and sickly sweet heart-rendering vocals! Not all dubstep has to be dark and bassy and mean does it? Of course this is coming from only a casual observer of the dubstep scene, but I'd love to hear more dubstep with this kind of lightness and overt emotionality to it.

nomos

Administrator
LOL. i've been listening to the track itself so much I've ignored Skream being mad over top of it...

"he's got the msn rolling and the phone line rolling. i like your style sunshine. i live life like a cowboy as well. i've always had it on for horses."

I'd actually love this tune if it was released with Skream doing this talkover on it :p

(And to be honest, it growing on me anyway. Still think it's a pop tune though.)

Dubquixote

Submariner
This tune is so good it's STUPID

My appreciation of D1 only grows with time. This man is DEEP and getting better with every new release.