Missy Elliot=Aretha Franklin

Woebot

Both were LP artists (four or five a piece) in spite of their singles.
Both feisty, beautiful but slightly over-weight ladies.
Both crossed over.
Both darlings of the critics.

I notice Missy has a best of comp, whcih means both women's career is over as well.

Woebot

also 20 years after their release i suspect their records will be worth about the same amount of money.

grumpy dealer once complained to me about people bringing him their effing aretha records.

gumdrops

Both were LP artists (four or five a piece) in spite of their singles.
Both feisty, beautiful but slightly over-weight ladies.
Both crossed over.
Both darlings of the critics.

I notice Missy has a best of comp, whcih means both women's career is over as well.

some ways theyre not quite so alike -
aretha can sing, missy cant
aretha can play the piano well, missy cant play anything
few people would argue against aretha being one of the best singers of her genre/generation, few people would agree missy was the best rapper of her genre (i know she sings as well and she and timbaland were huge factors in blurring the lines of hip hop and R&B in the mid-late 90s but shes 85% of the time a rapper)
missy is quirky, aretha isnt
aretha isnt a lesbian, missy (allegedly of course) is

one way they are both similar is that theyre both overrated to the point of cliche, for missy, this is even more so the case

either way, i dread to think what song of missys might become her 'respect' and therefore crop up in a billion films with hollywood actresses singing along to them

mms

sometimes
brilliant, been listening to missys first album loads recently.
so good.
have you heard the new 'for my peoples' track ' for my ecstacy people' the video has loads of rave visuals and a bits where FOR MY ECSTACY PEOPLE goes across the screen. It's basically new jersey house.
Not sure about the aretha comparison though, there is a linage of big ladies in soul. don't you think she has more to do with disco though really?