Flash clubbing - Liverpool street

john eden

male pale and stale
how alienated can you get?

a bunch of people congregate together to listen to (presumably entirely different?) music - on headphones.

blunt

shot by both sides
Was it a Space Invaders thing? I went to one of their things on the Circle Line a few years ago. Class.

tryptych

waiting for a time
how alienated can you get?

a bunch of people congregate together to listen to (presumably entirely different?) music - on headphones.

Yeah, that sounds strange, particulary as there are reports of the "repeated roars of approval" - to what, if everyon'e listening to different stuff? Unless they all had pre agreed mixes loaded onto their ipods synched from 7.24...

Would be much better with a DJ in some far flung location streaming a set live to web-enbled mobile devices... I once went to an Icarus party where everyone had to bring a radio and the set was broadcast on short range radio... that was entertaining. No other soundsystems in the venue apart from a couple of hi-fis also picking up the signal.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Would be much better with a DJ in some far flung location streaming a set live to web-enbled mobile devices...
I'm not sure I want to go to an event involving that many users of web-enabled mobile devices, to be honest.

martin

----
It sounds like the kind of thing Michael Barrymore used to stick on 'My Kind of People'. What was the Circle Line thing? Having a rave with ghetto blasters and loads of booze across a series of tube carriages? That'd be good.

john eden

male pale and stale
It sounds like the kind of thing Michael Barrymore used to stick on 'My Kind of People'. What was the Circle Line thing? Having a rave with ghetto blasters and loads of booze across a series of tube carriages? That'd be good.

I went on one of these several years ago (1st of May 1999?) that was organised by Reclaim The Streets, which was good. No toilets tho, obviously.

blogger Dubversion got fitted up at a subsequent one for assaulting a copper, and was eventually cleared of all charges.

blunt

shot by both sides
What was the Circle Line thing? Having a rave with ghetto blasters and loads of booze across a series of tube carriages? That'd be good.

Exactly that. Arrive at L'pool St, get on a pre-arranged tube train. The organisers had mini hi-fis secreted in wee suitcase, with different sets in different carriagess. BYOB. One circuit of the Circle Line. Job done.

i chanced upon it, and it was a cringeworthy event of the highest order. zany attention-seekers with headphones on whooping it up, being gawped at by city workers waiting for their trains home. i didnt know it was a flash thing but i had a suspicion that it might be. what will they think of next?

Don Rosco

I'd be torn - one part of me would want to cause hipster mass murder, the other thinks it's a pretty sweet idea, and would stand at the back nodding furtively. Either way, no better place for it. Liverpool St is a one of my favourite buildings in London.

Great video at the link btw, i'm surprised they lasted the hour....

Wrong

I think some reclaim the streets type people have put on events with low-powered transmitters and lots of people with portable radios, although I can't remember any details.

There's also the leplacard headphone festival, which sounds much more interesting than this flash club bollocks (although it did get a brief mention on Fox News this morning).

enneff

Andrew
It would be cool if it were people who were into the same music listening to a local fm radio broadcast. It just seems pretty pathetic and embarassing otherwise.