Auditory Hallucinations

Woebot

Went to see the Brian Wilson "Beautiful Dreamer" Movie last night with Bobby Bisto.

{OK it was pretty dull, though I have truck with the central motif. Wilson and Smile rock HARD in spite of how the culture industry has handled its remaking- the word "delibidinisation" springs to mind}

Anyway Brian spoke at one point about his Auditory Hallucinations, how he still hears voices which talk to him, tell him things. He gets locked in conversation with them. I was wondering if anyone here has had such experiences, obviously I wont be passing the info onto the Mental Health authorities ;)

(slips into confessional mode) I had some quite extreme Auditory Hallucinations about ten years ago. The most bizarre was waking very early in the morning by a Steely and Cleevie track playing in my brain at a crushing volume. Not a dream as such because the music kept playing for 5 or so seconds. Spooky.

NB this is not the tinnitus thread!

jenks

thread death
when i am sleeping badly, i regularly have auditory hallucinations - very much working at level of complex sentences which make perfect sense at the time, often phenomenal ideas (lit and met). these are dreamlike yet not dreams, they are not accompanied by any visuals but purely noise. i am scrambling around to describe them as they are deeply disturbing and often leave me a bit groggy the next day. like dreams i can recall little of them afterwards and when i try to describe them to my wife and friends they look at me as if i am mad - i am not, well not to my knowledge.
i don't get much that i can describe as creative out of them.
is wilson's situation connected to his hearing loss?
also must agree with you about smile - didn't know this word delibidnisation until i joined this site, i think i've got a grip on its general meaning through context now- yeah the dad rock press certainly delibidinised smile!

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Once when I was a kid - I don't remember the exact age - I heard a voice inside my head saying "En meget uhyggelig film" (that is danish for "A very scary movie"). It was more or less the voice of an well known tv announcer, only much louder and clearer and totally within my head; I was sitting next to the tv but if it was turned on at all it showed nothing that had anything to do with what I heard, and nobody else heard it.

That's all I suppose.

Gerard

Water Music

I once heard the perfect, matchless, endless Acid House track coming from a tap.

luka

he said he heard voices in his head saying
we're going to kill you
and he'd say
no, no don't kill me, i don't want to die

that is pretty fucking terrifying. i didn't realise the extent of the things he was dealing with. i've never had auditory hallucinations. i'd like to hear smile though. that fire music sounded pretty heavy. i loathe pet sounds, i think because i have no musical appreciation. i can't hear melodies or anything like that, i don't understand music in that way, to me it's just sensation. i guess i'm a barbarian. i'll start a seperate thread, one sec...

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
luka said:
he said he heard voices in his head saying
we're going to kill you
and he'd say
no, no don't kill me, i don't want to die

that is pretty fucking terrifying.

Schizophrenia, no? Profoundly disturbing. I wonder what musical auditory hallucinations are classed as in clinical terms.

ome

from the edge |

- satan talking over the radio during the adverts in minicabs
- convinced that there are hidden speakers in the room [ unpluging all the speakers ]
- the voice of authority telling me off
- friends talking to me while I look at shut mouth

consPiracy... consPiracy.... consPiracy

{{grieving the loss of mild schitzophenia in adolecence}}

:D

Eric

Mr Moraigero
WOEBOT said:
(slips into confessional mode) I had some quite extreme Auditory Hallucinations about ten years ago. The most bizarre was waking very early in the morning by a Steely and Cleevie track playing in my brain at a crushing volume. Not a dream as such because the music kept playing for 5 or so seconds. Spooky.

I had something similar once on a bus to California---sleeping and woke because of massive pillarlike sounds that I realized soon after waking up was the synth stabs from `Mr Kirk's Nightmare' playing in my head ... Honestly though, it was kind of nice.

Jesse D Serrins

When I was a small child I remember one night lying awake, hearing something coming up the stairs- horse hoofs is what it sounded like to me, and even though I knew there was nothing rational about it, I couldn't shake the real feelings that this fantasy produced, and so I felt very scared even though I knew I was making it up. There was always the tinge of possibility that this time there really would be something horrible making that sound, that slight possibility left me feeling shaken even though I knew 100% that it was my imagination. That kinda thing was common in my childhood.

In tems of self-imposed hallucinations, the auditory are always by far my favorite, endless songs with wills of their own.

satanmcnugget

i dont know if this is what you are talking about...lately i have been listening to a LOT of old-school RAGGA...while REALLY high, naturally....often, when the CD is over, for a few seconds afterwards, the beats (and even traces of the bass lines) are STILL ringing in my head....it's like the music is still playing, even if only faintly

the missus experiences this, too, by the way, as she is usually in the same room when we listen to CDS...it's gotten so bad for her that there is now officially a jungle BAN in the old LoveEcstasyCrime household :(

Jesse D Serrins

I was thinking particularly of tripping, on anything pretty much, where there's always this pulsing kinda thing which when I pay attention to it starts always just unfolding these really fluid melodies and rhythms that go on forever, does it on its own. I just always get carried the farthest out on what I'm hearing, as opposed to other senses...

Woebot

ome said:
- satan talking over the radio during the adverts in minicabs
- convinced that there are hidden speakers in the room [ unpluging all the speakers ]
- the voice of authority telling me off
- friends talking to me while I look at shut mouth
i think omes the winner with these ones!

juliand

A roommate once told me he'd periodically wake to the sound of sniffs, first in one ear, and then the other, getting louder and louder. He'd be unable to move until the sniffs had reached a tremendous volume, then stopped. When I said, incredulously, "Sniffs?," he said, yes, like a large animal, a horse or cow, sneezing.

I've never had them myself (except when there were mind-altering substances involved)
and certainly never any massive horse sniffs