Magazines/blogs we DO like.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In response to the DJ Mag thread, how about those music-based mags and blogs we actually get something from?

My starter for ten (Ok, these are obvious, but valid):

Blissblog; Woebot; www.factmagazine.co.uk; www.stylusmagazine.com; Pitchfork for the monthly dancehall/one-drop/grime/dubstepupdates (great one from Martin Clark recently about the possibility of funky house taking the next place on the ardkore continuum podium, at least in some form).

Guybrush

Dittohead
I assume we're talking about loosely music-related sites here; if so, all the above minus FACT Magazine for me, plus:

The Church of Me (one of my favourite writers)
K-Punk (ditto)
ilXor (rompy and exhausting, but a great vault of information)
Djhistory.com Forums (for the beardy stuff -- and space disco!)
PopMatters (for everything pop)
PopJustice (ditto)

Plus a few other blogs and communities which I frequent more sporadically.

Last edited:

tox

Factory Girl

Stool Pigeon's amazing for a free publication. The sheer amount of text in there is staggering compared to other "proper" magazines.

If Simon hadn't had enough praise already, I'd add to the good words about it happens for a reason...

As for my own contribution I'd like to nominate 20 Jazz Funk Greats. Even if I'm not always down with the music, the writing's spot on. Very stylish.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Don't want to encourage your ego to mushroom, Simon, but I must agree that the content and form of your blog are both great.

So, pull your finger out and get writing more f*cking often! ;)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
God bless the following:

The editors, writers and contributors at the following publications:

Mass Appeal
Elemental
Wax Poetics
Scratch
Insomniac
The Ave
Vibe
XXL

Jeff Chang's blog is pretty damn good as well. I'd like to see more comprehensive hip hop/politically charged blogging going on. I'll start one soon enough. One.

Chris

fractured oscillations
I second Arthur Magazine.

Click Opera

Ill-ec-tro-nic posted some early rave tracks a while back (check the October archives)

Postpunkjunk ... also posts the odd italian prog or krautrock album here and there. Search the archives for a PDF file of Julian Cope's "Krautrocksampler."

Beware of Blog posts some really interesting obscurities, from forgotten prog/experimental/folk/punk/psych bands to spoken word albums made by cult leaders, political propagandists, or forgotten kid's programs, and anything else bizzare, campy, or surreal.

I Love Music

tate

Brown Sugar
Postpunkjunk ... also posts the odd italian prog or krautrock album here and there. Search the archives for a PDF file of Julian Cope's "Krautrocksampler."
Thanks for the sampler tip, Chris. Waxpoetics is my ideal magazine, I suppose, for a number of reasons. Incidentally, one of the best interweb radio stations of which I know, is this New Orleans jazz heritage & other goodness page: http://www.wwoz.org/

Rachel Verinder

I'm taking a break for a couple of months, I have some stuff I need to do. But I guarantee I will be back early in the New Year.

Yeah, that's not a clear explanation at all, is it?

MankyFiver

i'd second/third stool pigeon, even though i dont know anyone they are going on about they sound like they love it
mein walkman ist kaput - d.i.y. etc mp3 blog
crud music another mp3 blog where the bloke writes about records he's picked up for $1, he writes lots and i dont mind reading it unlike a lot of others