aim high vol.2

S

simon silverdollar

aim high vol2, the new target mix cd, is so SO big. target and danny weed have blown all producers [except ruff sqwad obv.] out of the water with this release. i don't know what else to say- just buy it and i guarentee that you won't be disappointed. this is a definitive, milestone release. this is THE document of the scene.

good accompanying dvd as well, with a cool interview with top boy dj and occasional dissensus-er logan sama.

S

simon silverdollar

can't be bothered to do all the tracklisting, but it's got everyone you'd expect on it- roll deep, god's gift, riko, maihem, j2k etc. it's all new stuff. it's a massive step up from vol.1: better beats, odd rave/trance [!] sounds, gorgeous poppy melodies. unlike vol 1 it doesn't go into hip hop or dancehall at all: it's a very original take on grime from start to finish.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Is this where that Buff Girls tune is from (think the guys called Brazen)? I've found myself playing that more & more

S

simon silverdollar

'buff girls' is on aim high vol 1. brazen's not on vol.2; he's in prison apparently.
hopefully he'll be out soon

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Agree with Simon here, Target/Weed have raised the bar with this one (they both had a quiet 2004?) – love the Weed produced Roll Deep track, the Target riddim with Titch on and the ‘Bark’ Donneo one. Some good stuff on the dvd too, especially the Ixtra thing at Rhythm Division - though a bit worn out with the dvd thing now (that’s three in a couple of months)

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
it's amazing

top 5 favorite tunes:
Ruff Squad - Chillin'
Donae'O - Bark
the J2K one
Riko ft. Discarda & Dogzilla - Critical
Breeze - Marchin' On

but really the whole thing is a joy. the DVD is good too, imo much better than Risky Roadz (which I was kind of disappointed with, tbh). fave bit is Essentials performing in Rhythm Division and completely going for it (made the more amusing by random dude in the background looking totally bored)

Woebot

mine arrived yesterday. had the opportunity to listen to it once. yeah its very good, but yunnuh i'm SURE theyve fucked up Doogzy's "Neverending Story" (starting a Dogzilla thread in a mo)....

S

simon silverdollar

dog-z is amazing. i remember he was one of the first grime MCs i ever heard-what an introduction to the sound! he's the darkest and most honest and most heartbreaking one out there. 'never ending story' is so sad- that bit where he worries that STD's wont't sell any copies, and that he's not getting any rave bookins especially.

bit off topic here: but you know that bit in risky roads where they're interviewing roll deep, and some of the youngers [while out ones] are there? check the little kid in the cap, i think they say he's Scum D or something. he's terrifying. doesn't say a word. doesn't even look at anyone. just stares into space with scarily, heart stopping, cold eyes. he's like Pinky in Brighton Rock or something- the frozen-hearted boy-child. no wonder in loads of interviews Roll Deep warn the interview about the youngers, saying that they're crazy and all that.

terrifying.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
simon silverdollar said:
dog-z is amazing. i remember he was one of the first grime MCs i ever heard-what an introduction to the sound! he's the darkest and most honest and most heartbreaking one out there. 'never ending story' is so sad- that bit where he worries that STD's wont't sell any copies, and that he's not getting any rave bookins especially.

That's the contrast between British reticence and US/JA bragging that is part of what makes grime so compelling, innit. It's like the bit in the Essentials interview on Risky Roadz where the guy asks them where they want Essentials to be a couple years down the line and New Era is all "I want to be in Japan fucking up the whole world" and Remedee's like "I want to go from tracks to tracksuits" while one of the others just says flatly "I want to be selling records".

S

simon silverdollar

...yeah, or like on the risky roads dvd where the interviewer asks Biggie Pitbull where he sees himself in 5 years and just shrugs and goes, 'selling weed...signing on'

orson

i got both risky rdz and aim high 2 ... i was kinda disapointed to have the same material like riko interwiew and respect festival on both dvds .. and why the fuck aint there no sound with the music videos on risky rdz ???

AshRa

orson said:
i got both risky rdz and aim high 2 ... i was kinda disapointed to have the same material like riko interwiew and respect festival on both dvds .. and why the fuck aint there no sound with the music videos on risky rdz ???

I'm thinking about treating myself to one of them - what's the general consensus between Risky Roads vs Aim High 2?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
AshRa said:
I'm thinking about treating myself to one of them - what's the general consensus between Risky Roads vs Aim High 2?

I got both of them (and Practice Hours too, I just went to Uptown and blanked the $-£ exchange rate out of my mind!).

I'd say definitely go for Aim High 2 - the cd is much much much better, and the dvd itself is a bit more professionally done, although Risky Roadz covers more ground and more crews.