Space Music

ryan17

I am curious on 1978-82' music that was inspired by space and all that stuff.

I really like music that has to do with space (Sun Ra, Afrika Bambaataa, being obivous examples) but i am looking for more of the Italo-disco/Space disco grouping of it, especially french artists.

I know this is all old territory for most of you, but i would appreciate suggestions.

ryan17

yeah i really like that song.

Right now my favorite is Baby's Gang - Challenger. I also really like Lectric Workers - Robot is Systematic.

i guess songs about robots can also be suggested as well.

C

captain easychord

the morgan geist compilation "unclassics" features lots of good italo-space-disco.

ryan17

unclassics is pretty sweet but i think it placed after I-robots in sweet italo-electro comps from last year.

thanks though. i am hoping some random german dude will suddenly appear on this thread and pile me with obscure suggestions.

Whoops - just checked the record label and 'Magic Fly' was actually from 1977, which puts it just outside your time frame - darn! Nice sleeve though, eh?

How about another great French disco hit - 'Spacer' by Sheila B Devotion ('79)?

Or even back to the UK for the wonderful 'I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper' by sarah Brightman & Hot Gossip

Or are you not actually interested in pop records?

Last edited:

ryan17

yeah magic fly was 77' and it is a fantastic album. ever since i heard that i couldn't help but place Daft Punk and Air into 'french dudes obsessed with Space - Magic Fly' category.

redcrescent

I suppose you could call this spaced out Austro-disco.
A good place to start is the I-Robots comp with the foolproof title of Italo Electro Disco Underground Classics, which is worth it for Charlie's "Spacer Woman" alone, some good tracks (mainly instrumental) on that.
Check the Patrick Cowley thread on Dissensus, too.

carlos

manos de piedra
how about Space Art? i have their 2nd LP from 78. French, some disco, some prog, some cheese

maybe some Heldon / Richard Pinhas from 78-82- not disco but rhythmic / sequenced

redcrescent

Hmm, Patrick Cowley thread is gone. OK, then check the Zyx Records website proper, which has more spaced out italo than you'll ever need! No, really. Head for Italo, at left.

Not within your specified time frame, but some italo-related stuff I know on Zyx:
-Fun Fun "Happy Station" (Zyx scratch mix) - something of a classic - Dissensus thread a while ago about music from John Carpenter movies, there's a Zyx scratch mix of "The End" from Assault on Precinct 13 which is quite good
-Tullio de Piscopo's "Stop Bajón", which I recall appeared on an Ashley Beedle comp on the (now defunct?) Strut label
-C.O.D. "In the bottle" (dub), sounds nothing like the Gil Scott-Heron original, I quite like this
-Trans X "Living on Video" this crops up everywhere for some reason

But be warned, Zyx is Germany's Ram's Horn.

AshRa

My favourite spacey Italo-ish track (today!) is Spoonich "Laserdance". I-f licenced it and put it out on 12" about a year ago http://www.discogs.com/release/194148 - backed with 2 tracks by the Lectric Workers.

It's proper treacle-thick synths all the way through, with not a trace of the insipid cheezey elements which date so much of I-Robots... It mixes in brilliantly with slowed down Jean Michel Jarre records too!

ladyboygrimsby

German space disco:
Supermax - Fly With Me
Methusalem - Robotism

French space disco:
Mellrose - Don't Want To Start Again

American space disco:
VIP Connection - West Coast drive

jenks

thread death
hmm, i now have spacer stuck in my head - and in the way of these things only the refrain - have you any idea how annoying it is beginning to sound - must drown out head...

Tim H

German: Zazu - Captain Starlight (Hansa, 1979)
British: Nostromo - Around The World In 80 Seconds (Bronze, 1978)
French (?): David Keaton - Space Control (Roulette, 1983)
French: Herman's Rocket - Space Woman
Italian: Hipnosis - Pulstar - ZYX (83?)

I've got a list of these sort of tunes somewhere - I'll dig it out.

Tim

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Weren't "Rockets" a French disco-pop group with a space theme? I remember checking out one of their LPs once but I wasn't that impressed. Big influence on Daft Punk apparently - they had those funny space helmet things - quite similar to the cover of Heldon's "Interface" album as well - I guess it's a French thang!

iueke

one French dude worth checking out is Jean-pierre Massiera - did some fantastic space funk/disco - kind of same crew as Giordano (balck devil disco). Most of these guys were very active in library music.