Making Money.

luka

All I want from life is to make money. it's not much to ask. it's very difficult though. i've got a few (5) GCSEs but not much more. i don't have any skills or any talents or any interests or ambitions outside of making money. i don't have experience of much, just a few crappy jobs, like labouring, security and working in starbucks. does any one have any suggestions for making money from that starting point? i'd consider anything. i might look into driving tube trains.

also, how do you make your money? how did you get into it?

life is rubbish without money. money brings happiness and freedom, it's that simple.

Rachel Verinder

first of all you should definitely see about getting heronbone published in book form. there's certainly a market (or a market can be created) for it. email me offboard and i'll give you the contact details for my publishers. if a useless nincompoop like me can get a book deal then so can you!

hard to say re. career, but tube train driving certainly pays well and it keeps you physically occupied but with enough mental space to keep you happy at the same time. you don't want a job that's going to exhaust you mentally as well as physically.

me? i made (and make) money out of a career which has its ongoing, inbuilt problems but i'm glad i held on to it, because going into full-time freelance writing is a starvation-inviting dud unless your surname is coren or something. plus you'd be spending 90% of your time hustling and pitching instead of actually writing or creating anything. people like stelfox are ok with it but i personally wouldn't recommend it.

nick.K

gabba survivor
I'd hold back on making money for a couple of years and go to university, use the resources: dark rooms, film equipment, libraries, lectures, computers, grants, and take of the student magazine. You can work on the writing at the same time.

Backjob

I'd say learn a trade. It's what I wish I'd done. Be a plumber. You can hold down 6 figures doing it, for only a couple years training, and you can be your own boss. You get paid for a task, not for your time, which is much better. And you're not exchanging your ideas or your creativity or your mental effort for money, all of which suck ass. Plus there are never enough plumbers and people will only call you when they're desperate, so you can be as obnoxious as you want and they just have to take it, otherwise they'll have to dig a hole in the back garden and shit in that. Also you'll know about something that 99% of people know fuck all about, but that everybody needs. That's the kind of knowledge that is power.

Me, I'm in advertising, because I couldn't think of anything better to do. It's good in that it pays decent and I get to see a lot of interesting places and learn about the stuff that the people there like to pay money for (Philipinos like hamburgers, they really really like them. Thais don't like foreplay.). But I hate the fact that it involves having interesting ideas and then giving them to someone else. You end up with no energy to do your own shit.

I was going to train as a carpenter, but I can't quite cope with the idea of giving up wearing gucci and diamonds and going to some horrible tech college for years in order to do so.

I don't personally hold any truck with that starving artist garbage. If you can't make a living off it, do it in your spare time. Once somebody wants to pay you well for it, then you quit the day job. Otherwise you either end up leeching off all your mates and having everyone hate you, or live like a tramp. Neither of those looks good to me.

Randy Watson

In a just world, Luka, you would have your own radio show.

Tube Drivers rake it in and they get about 7 weeks holiday a year, very little contact with the general public (except for the leapers, obv :eek: ) and dropping the odd pearl of wisdom through the tannoy system. Sounds ideal for you.

Until I read Backjob's post I never realised how reliant we are on the sweet nature of plumbers :)

Is Mr Craner's post a suggestion or an offer? :)

luka

backjob, you've swallowed the plumbing hype! it's not strictly true unfortunately. i can paint to a professional standard, i did it for a year or so. no money in that though, everyone can do it. that kind of stuff is actually very hard work. i've worked with builders a lot and they're permanantly knackered plus their backs and knees get seriously fucked, not to mention bad for the lungs. anyone know if you need a driving license to drive a tube? i should do some sort of internet search about it i spose.

nick, university is too expensive and i'm far too old. besides there's nothing i'm interested in studying.

anyone here making lots of money?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Rachel Verinder said:
people like stelfox are ok with it but i personally wouldn't recommend it.

am i knickers. i work for the man by day. have done for 3 years now. i just don't sleep a lot, so tend to get a lot of freelancing done at night!

sufi

lala
sorry but you know this is bolox dear looka :D

can't stop meself from biting this troll, even if it feels to me somehow a little hypocritical, but it's been a sparkly sort of day so here we go.......

i'm WELLL skinted this month, altho i work in a 'high powered' type job plenty responsibility & stress, money's shite of course & i'm fuckin fine with that

today i can tell you i have spent only £1 - that was for a coffee at lunch time cos i had a hangover, i've done an important meeting in london, skammed onto the tube cross sarf london & back, w my cute colleague's travelly, got nice free lunch in homeless day center - yum! jus bin & picked a blim off me old mucka up on 9th floor, so i can relax me brains wiv a smoke... i schmoozed some BIG people today, like BIG, across europe by email & on the phone - i made some impact, i even made some kinda heavy career progress. & i looked after my boss cos he's having a bit of a crisis - it's been a busy day, but a good un.................. & all this was for free

come on we don't love money like you suggest, it's shit & you know it's shit - me, stelf, da bot, all of us feelthy careerists are doing stuff we like, not stuff that's lucrative, it's gotta pay the bills cos the bills' gotta be paid...
anything else is pure avarice, no ( tho feckin vacation once in a while could be ok)

i guess it would be codescending to tell luka that money's not everything, & the best things in life are free,etc etc bolox bolox , but not as fuckin patronising as saying getajob grrrrr :mad:

later ;)

• Love
Reactions: sus

luka

yeah, i know how to get all those free things thanks, i need advice on the money thing and i don't want a little bit i want lots.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

sufi

lala
i don't reckon job is the way to go then
you need to scheme something up

job is for paying rent, or for passing time & keeping off the street but not for megabucks, far as i can see

my best $$$ missions have never really been career type, they've been more like nice one offs, like qat smuggling to states, street art in dubai - other dodgy ones and little opportunities i guess, and worth it for their own sake
but that's different from salary innit

sufi

lala
job in london anyway is like a zero sum equation
is like being a junkie but without shit in yr trousers

Rachel Verinder

luka if you go to the members list and click on my name you can email me that way.

sufi if you want to start pointless arguments, calling people who disagree with you a troll (indicate exactly where i suggested that people on dissensus "loved money") and use the "fuck off newbie" meme then go and do it on ilx not here.

sufi

lala
no offense meant to anyone rachel :( sorry!
definitely no fuck off newbie meme round here :D

i jus suspect luka of being a bit trolley with his original post, not you

jenks

thread death
sorry maybe i'm being abit thick here but what does 'troll' mean, has it got a specific definition - i only know it in terms of my kids "i'm a troll foldolrol and i'm going to eat you for my dinner" (three billy goats gruff)