Kleerup

Guybrush

Dittohead
I really like the backing, the strings are gorgeous, but I’m not fond of her voice. Or, I’m mostly not enamoured with it: It was a perfect match for the early Cheiron productions, and it has glimmered occasionally more recently too (‘Who's That Girl’ and also her cover of Shot’s ‘Main Thing’, for example). Check out ‘O Baby’ from 2002’s Don't Stop the Music for another Robyn track with a dazzling string arrangement (one of my favourite tracks of hers, as it happens—01.20 forwards = c'est magnifique). Wikipedia says it was not a single, but it did the rounds on Swedish radio so that might be incorrect. Of the recent ones, I actually like the one with the Fleshquartet, ‘This One's for You’, the best, which is odd since it’s very indie-rawky.

Does anyone like the Sally Shapiro album, by the way? ‘I'll Be by Your Side’ is too consciously retro for my taste, but ‘I Know’ is goody, goody! Great song-writing always wins me over.

bruno

est malade
true, the voice is verging on laura branigan or something i can't put my finger on, but the backing track is quite good. there should be more music like this.

i think i'm in love with sally shapiro. she is so sweet, so innocent! the project is an impeccable updating of the valerie doré/voyagers idea (minus the hair). i was actually thinking how strange no one has done this yet before discovering time to let go, lovely tune. i've yet to hear the album!

Guybrush

Dittohead
I just found out that you can download the album’s three best songs (all the ones you would want, really) on this Wikipedia page; an exceedingly generous gesture, I must say.

On a similar tip, I suggest you check out Mr. Suitcase. Despite having written a host of pop gems in recent years, he is criminally under-exposed outside of Sweden. I hope that will be rectified now that he has put up all of his best tracks for free download on his web-page. Highly recommended! (The cover of EBTG’s ‘Lullaby of Clubland’ and his own ‘La Menteuse’ are good starting points.)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
true, the voice is verging on laura branigan or something i can't put my finger on
Seems quite deliberately like Kate Bush to me.

I like it, but not heaps.

Didn't like that Sally Shapiro thing at all, thought I might get right into it, but just found the songs pretty shit. Seems purely nostalgic and nothing else to me.

O

Omaar

Didn't like that Sally Shapiro thing at all, thought I might get right into it, but just found the songs pretty shit. Seems purely nostalgic and nothing else to
me.

I quite like it , but yeah, it's pretty insubstantial. nice melodies though.