Scott on TV

spoondead

Last night the BBC’s flagship arts programme Imagine had a special on Scott Walker. There was a lot of promise of “rare insights” and “first time that” but what we really got was a pretty short interview with the velvet tonselled man himself interspersed with a far greater amount of filler in the form of endless musical luminaries saying how great Scott was/is. Some of these were amusing such as Bowie recounting how he discovered Walker after having a relationship with a hand me down girlfriend from Scott who came complete with his record collection. Less insightful were Lulu, Jarvis, Almond, Radiohead and some monk from the Isle of White (or was it Man?) where Scott had gone on retreat. In the end it would have been good just to have had a little more of the man himself.

petergunn

plywood violin
Last night the BBC’s flagship arts programme Imagine had a special on Scott Walker. There was a lot of promise of “rare insights” and “first time that” but what we really got was a pretty short interview with the velvet tonselled man himself interspersed with a far greater amount of filler in the form of endless musical luminaries saying how great Scott was/is. Some of these were amusing such as Bowie recounting how he discovered Walker after having a relationship with a hand me down girlfriend from Scott who came complete with his record collection. Less insightful were Lulu, Jarvis, Almond, Radiohead and some monk from the Isle of White (or was it Man?) where Scott had gone on retreat. In the end it would have been good just to have had a little more of the man himself.

i (think) i saw this at the tribeca film festival... fairly bad movie, however worth it for the scott footage, esp the studio stuff... i don't like his singing, but he is def. some sort of musical genius...

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Not knowing alot about the bard I was intrigued. Yes you could cut out some the fillin celebs but it was worth hearing Marc Almond dismaying at his later stuff:p You had to have Eno & Bowie there as they were at one point very near to his world. I thought the insights into the recording process were fascinating, 'no melody' until his final vocal take! It's rare in the recording industry to go from full scale populist to 'outer limits' experimentation during a long career such as his.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
It was basically a re-edit job on the recent film- which was good asides from the somewhat uneccessary talking head celebrity fan bullshit.

hurricane run

I enjoyed the interview with the (former) a & r man at fontana. His face as he described the playback of 'Tilt' was priceless.