Ronnie and Rheji Burrell

NY HouseN Authority & Metro stuff is all essential.
They were the jewel in Nu Groove's crown and yet seem totally forgotten now....

Woebot

they must be one of the only genuine collisions of R'n'B with House?

didn't they go more R'n'B-ish and fail?

always think of them as somehow proto-timbaland, in the way that he's always used Jungle/Techno etc

henry s

Street Fighting Man
loved their jazzier stuff too, like "Just Before The Dawn" (recorded as Aphrodisiac)...

let's not forget Victor "Critical Rhythm" Simonelli, one of the forgotten progenitors of ambient house...dude should get comp'd, and soon!

Woebot

loved their jazzier stuff too, like "Just Before The Dawn" (recorded as Aphrodisiac)...

yeah loved that. those finger-snapping beats. also remember st.willie (i have this somewhere) but not whether it's any good....

a smackdown? whats that?

-

dont know if lichen remembers that hip-house track tucked away at the the back of the basil hardhaus ep....."my man rheji.......burrell"

henry s

Street Fighting Man
a smackdown? whats that?

a "smackdown" is a wrestling term, a fight that generally occurs in a steel cage...except the Burdens and the Burrells would go at it in an abandoned warehouse, and they would use beats instead of fists...

seriously though, it does not seem like that long ago when geographical/stylistic "scenes" created alliances not unlike those associated with sports and politics...like when it was a really big deal that Mark "MK" Kinchen broke ranks with Detroit, moved to New York and made house music...

I love most of their work and especially the Metro ep. So simple and definitive, amazing exercises in spinozian necessity and relentlessness.
Recently experienced an intense glamnerdist orgasm when I realized Rheji produced, among other rap and r&b tracks, a tune for Aaliyah in '97!!! Didn't manage to hear it though, it seems to be a b-side on some cd.

bruno

est malade
woebot, you should be forced to do a book on the late 80s early 90s nyc house techno thing! it doesen't have to reference french philosophy or anything like that, just nice scans and interviews will do. i know i would buy this in a heartbeat.