shellac- excellent italian greyhound

S

simon silverdollar

so, what's the dissensus?

me, i think it's disappointing. to be all nick hornby about it, 1000 Hurts is all time Top-5 fare for me (and Terraform isn't far behind). but the new album seems so strangely scrappy and half-baked. the nice instrumental melodic moments sound all too throwaway, while the intense hardcore bits (Spoke, boycott, steady as she goes) have none of the control and lithe precision that made Shellac so deadly.

your thoughts?

S

simon silverdollar

it's weird, but i never, ever expected them to be mediocre: but now they are!

there are no heroes anymore...

S

simon silverdollar

and i defy anyone to bother listening to 'genuine lulabelle' more than once...

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
For me they've never really bettered "At Action Park". They're always a good listen in as much as they're a killer tight band, and Albini's production captures their playing just right. But they've never had as well honed material as on the first album, and there's too much self indulgent messing around. All the shouty joke histrionics on 'The End of Radio' I can just about take, but I have to skip 'Lulabell' now - Albini's usual misanthropy really outstays it's welcome. Having these really long tracks makes the shorter ones just feel tacked on, and stylistically EIG is so over the place it just lacks any overall character of it's own. They could have made a shelf of albums to rival Fugazi, but they haven't...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
To me they did three wicked singles and then it was downhill all the way from 'At Acton', nice legs, shame about the face type of band.

S

simon silverdollar

one thing that i found quite surprising about it is that apparently many of the songs on e.i.g (genuine lulabelle, spoke, steady as she goes etc) are old staples of Shellac's live show. Shellac are so respected as a live act that i imagine these songs must sound good live, so it could be that they've just failed to record them properly and it almost beggars belief that steve albini and bob weston would do that.

incidentally, i've only seen Shellac live once. on 11th september 2001. an intense gig...

dssdnt

one thing that i found quite surprising about it is that apparently many of the songs on e.i.g (genuine lulabelle, spoke, steady as she goes etc) are old staples of Shellac's live show. Shellac are so respected as a live act that i imagine these songs must sound good live, so it could be that they've just failed to record them properly and it almost beggars belief that steve albini and bob weston would do that.
Maybe the problem isn't shellac but your judgment?

Or maybe youve just moved on and don't find them exciting anymore? Which is cool, it happens to listeners all of the time . . . but there's no need to confuse that with the actual quality of a record's engineering.

I mean, your suggestion that the album wasn't recorded well says a lot about your ears' ability to judge this style of music, quite frankly (not to be rude, but I'm not quite sure how else to say it). The drums sound beautiful, trainer's timing and feel are utterly identifiable (to someone who cares about such things; I mean, his timing actually has a temporal signature to it - as exemplified by Elephant - and Albini goes to great lengths to capture that, to allow it to be nakedly audible), and the people I know who belong to that community find the production to be as good as it gets today for this style of music. Spoke, are you kidding me, you are dissing that? Steady As She Goes, Genuine Lulabelle? No mention of Elephant? If you don't like those tracks, then maybe you just don't like shellac anymore. Which is cool and totally understandable, happens to thoughtful listeners all the time . . .

As an album, it's strong, not mindblowing, not "the way forward" (oh that meme so dear to UK listeners), but to me neither are shellac really . . . however, it is indeed a very well made record on all fronts, the engineering is exquisite in its simplicity and clarity, and in a world populated by Pastiche Rock (and the bloggers who love it), it's nice to have for summer listening another sonic document from a group of people who have been consistently provocative for more than twenty years . . .

S

simon silverdollar

well, i don't think the problem is that i don't like shellac anymore; i listening to 1000 hurts again last night and was as blown away as ever.

i agree that the raw sonics of shellac sound as good as ever- the drum sound that they get in particular is peerless, as you mention. i've seen a lot of discussion about this record expressing disappointment that songs that sound so good live come across as relatively flat on E.I.G. i can't recall having heard these songs live, so it's purely speculation of my part to wonder if the problem lies in the recording process, rather than the song writing (perhaps the band were rushed for time and so didn't play the songs through as well as they could have done?).

perhaps a better explanation, though, is the given upthread regarding the range of different styles and approaches on E.I.G: it doesn't sound like a coherent album, and that might dilute the impact on songs which, on their own, might be very impressive.

I like it. The appeal of Shellac for me always was their brittle precision and focus, in a way this album is the opposite. There's always a hint that they might rock, but for the most part they just don't. It's a bit like rock music falling apart and for now I enjoy hearing that.

I saw a clip of Albini talking about US Maple on youtube a while ago where he said that he admired them because they just didn't fulfill the audience's expectations to rock out, listening to Excellent Italian Greyhound immediately reminded me of that.

S

simon silverdollar

I like it. The appeal of Shellac for me always was their brittle precision and focus, in a way this album is the opposite. There's always a hint that they might rock, but for the most part they just don't. It's a bit like rock music falling apart and for now I enjoy hearing that.

i think that's a really good way of thinking about it. perhaps that's what i was missing: i didn't like the record because it sounds so scrappy: but perhaps that's the point.

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
I think the sequencing is part of the problem with E.IG. On the way to work I listened to all the short tracks and the 'The End of Radio' at the end, ditched 'Lulabell' altogether, and it works so much better. 'End of Radio' just screams end of the album closing finale, and fitted just right at the end.

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
I get two ideas about what they've been doing since 'Action Park'. I think the looseness of some of the things they've done, like 'Lullabell', 'Spirit of Radio' and the, for me, overlong track on Terraform, is trying to experiment and shake things up and not repeat themselves, which you have to applaud, but for me they're experiments that just flounder around. I think they'd do better by doing things that are structurally interesting within that uber-tight, in-the-pocket 'Action Park' sound. I think 'Crow' is my favourite Shellac track-the way the three of them interact, the changes in the drums midway and so on are everything that a 'post-hardcore' sound can be.
The other thing that I guess is key with them is their whole wise-cracking, sarky not taking things too seriously ethos. Which I've always liked, but sometimes I wish they'd lark around less and, yes, rock a bit more.

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
"What Albini has in common with Patton, other than a certain determination to not give in to their audience, who just want to pigeonhole them and dumbly rock out (equals: have a good time for their hard-earned entertainment dollar) instead of understanding that they are important artists (though they wouldn’t make this claim explicitly. However, there is something in Shellac’s interminable thwarting of gig dynamics live/ Fantomos’s really un-groovable micro-thrash moments and long stretches of noodling that suggests a certain haughtiness, a certain custodians-of-the-tradition aloofness*) is a certain, boring Frat-boy sexism masquerading as straight-guy, warts-and-all honesty, an asanine, knee-jerk political incorrectness as a kind of self-aggrandising psuedo-reportage on the shadowy-corners of the human psyche**

Both of these tendencies intertwine on Shellac’s “ A Geniune Lullabelle” from their latest release, the predictably obtusely entitled " Excellent Italian Greyhound" which not only breaks down into silence half-way through and then spends half of it’s nine-minute running time with Albini expounding on a particular woman who “knows her way around a cock”***(not an expert poultry farmer, presumably) amid a chorus of radio presenter style voices intoning the song’s title. It’s deeply unedifying. An Italian women speaks at the end of the track and that, along with the album's title, suggests that this is Albini getting back at an ex-girlfriend, which also renders it pitiful, but not, hey, in any kind of revealingly interesting way. The whole feel of Shellac, indeed all of Albini’s post Big Black stuff is increasingly arch and dessicated, the beauty of "Songs about Fucking" and "Atomizer," apart from the propulsive disco drum patterns was the sheer range of guitar sounds, the immense Lysergic surge of "Kerosene", the irradiated intensity of their version of "The Model." While Shellac are democratic, intricate, nimble, galvanized, springy there's also something negligible, throwaway about them, something scrawny and par-boiled, that brings Albini’s self-aggrandising psuedo-reportage, and the poverty of his persona to the fore, all of which undermines the whole project fatally.

*Witness of course also "Terraforms" relentlessly dull and undynamic ten minute long, two-note thudalongs through which you could practically feel Albini smirking at your increasing dismay.

Hmm, that guy *really* hates Albini though, whereas I've got the utmost respect for him, whether or not he is a nice guy. I'd certainly disagree that it's been downhill since Big Black. As someone who mostly listened to electronic music, hip-hop etc at the time they were around, the use of drum machine on Big Black's stuff was part of the appeal, but I think it dates them now, and I haven't listened to them in ages. I'd be more likely to put the Rapeman album on- Albini siad latterly that BB should have waited and found a drummer, and hearing him matched up with the best rhythm section in that scene at the time I tended to agree.

As for the stuff about "self-aggrandising psuedo-reportage" and poverty of lyrics, well he's always been about the music really. Journos would always want him to talk endlessly about Jordan Minessota and what his message was, when he'd be trying to get across that vocals were mostly just another sound to him, which always take their chances in his mixing, never forefronted, so all this kind of misses the point. That said, part of the reason 'Lulabell' is such a drag is that he's breaking his own rules and bringing the music to a grinding halt as the words ramble on. No way is it autobiographical though, his stuff almost never is.

tom pr

It's not hard to write paragraph upon paragraph as to why you hate something with very basic research (I believe Excellent Italian Greyhound, for instance, is in reference to Todd Trainer's dog rather than an ex-girlfriend) and without a shred of wit. Equally illogical was Simon Reynolds linking to Impostume's post and referring to the Melvins as smugonautical sardonicists, when a few months earlier he'd claimed they were 'One of those bands I always wanted to like, wanted to get into... They're quite an arty bunch right? it's all very conceptual isn't it -- indeed there was a dense piece on them in Artforum some years back as I recall that seemed to reckon they were bloody clever and playing all sorts of sharp games with rock iconography, deconstructing "heavy" and "dumb", exposing the device G04 style.'

I wonder if he'd actually taken the time to listen to them since then, or was Impostume's post enough to make his mind up for him?

vernoncrane

garrett dweller
Would you really say without a shred of wit? I was quite pleased with that bit about " I avoid cliche like the bus-stop ..." etc.... Not even a shred, you say.... ahh, well.

S

simon silverdollar

i don't agree with the charge that shellac are 'arch'. they're too willing to get involved with the messier sides of emotions for that. sure, they can also be funny and silly, but not in a smug or alienating way. also, i think that, generally, steve albini only sings about what really matters to him. it just so happens that the beauty of billiards etc are what really matters to him.

Hmm, seems like the same point Albini's critics always make. As far as I know Albini (and the other Shellac guys) take the band and their music very seriously, but not all the pathetic stuff that comes with being a rock band. They only record and play when they have the time and energy, it's a labour of love for them. They want to make the music, not talk about it and especially Albini just makes fun of the people (like us :p ) that try otherwise, which can make him look like a sarcastic asshole. And taking Albini's lyrics literally and autobiographically is always wrong (except maybe the Billard Player Song).