Lil' Wayne - Da Drought 3

Noah Baby Food

Who's got this?

Breathtaking. Believe his self-promotion I say - he IS the best rapper alive. If not him, then who? Trim in the UK...Weezy in the US, thus, the world. Bars, voice, flow, charisma, intelligence, craziness, versatility...the works.

Used to rate Jay-Z the highest, but not for a few years now unfortunately, Weezy destroys him...he just gets hungrier.

I've always liked Wayne, but back in Hot Boys it was never really him that stood out, at least lyrically. He's definitely on a different level now...which probably led to all these 'ghostwriter' rumours. Apparently Gillie Da Kid, ex-Major Figgas, used to write for him. Hmmmmm...I dunno about that, but I certainly don't believe anyone's ghosting for him now... If someone is, then who?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Who's got this?

Breathtaking. Believe his self-promotion I say - he IS the best rapper alive. If not him, then who? Trim in the UK...Weezy in the US, thus, the world. Bars, voice, flow, charisma, intelligence, craziness, versatility...the works.

Used to rate Jay-Z the highest, but not for a few years now unfortunately, Weezy destroys him...he just gets hungrier.

I've always liked Wayne, but back in Hot Boys it was never really him that stood out, at least lyrically. He's definitely on a different level now...which probably led to all these 'ghostwriter' rumours. Apparently Gillie Da Kid, ex-Major Figgas, used to write for him. Hmmmmm...I dunno about that, but I certainly don't believe anyone's ghosting for him now... If someone is, then who?

I really wanna hear this, gonna check it out in a minute, i always rated the Hot Boys stuff, I still think Juvenile is better though, just in terms of breadth of styles, that bloke can pretty much do anything, and always comes with something I've never heard before.

zhao

there are no accidents
Juvies recent efforts have often been entirely underwhelming tho. magic of the old cash-money days seem to have faded.

wayne tho, is just coming strong. i've always liked him a lot, maybe more than any other southern rapper, but never told anyone because i think subconsciously i thought maybe I'm crazy? anyhow thanks for the reassurance baby ford. now i gots to check de album

mos dan

fact music
awesome, thank you! i was just gonna ask where i could buy it from.

perfect timing as well - i just dl-ed 'black republicans' (awesome name for a song, doesn't quite live up to it) and wanted a bit more fresh weezy stuff.

i wonder what's gonna happen with hip-hop and obama.. any thoughts? or has a lot happened already that i've missed? 'rap the vote' anyone? ;)

Noah Baby Food

Yes, seen, Juvie was my favourite too back in the day, closely followed by BG. Juvenile's "Ha" is one of my favourite hip hop tunes, and you can't underestimate how much Cash Money blew up the game, how revolutionary they were. The video to "Ha" is about the best 'hood video' ever, IMO, dusty 'Nolia projects, some gully locals, real alien kinda vibe to it...if you haven't seen it, Youtube it coz it's great. Recently, only "Get Your Hustle On", his post-Katrina political tune, is really any good...quite a departure for him too. Shame, coz I love old Terius, with his fully gold mout'.

BG's "Chopper City In Da Ghetto" is an incredible album, Mannie Fresh kills it with every track. Recently BG has been worthy, but lacks the old magic...a sturdy, workmanlike rapper but not like the old days. Fuck knows what's happened to Turk...

see how gully their origins were: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Boys

and there's no fuckin way T.I. or Young Buck should fill Wayne's shoes in a Hot Boyz reunion...I don't mind T.I., but just NO! the beef between Wayne/Baby and the rest of them is a real shame.

but yeah, Da Drought 3 is amazing. "Like Father Like Son" was a great album, too. Weezy kills it with lines like "Desperado coming straight out the grotto/I'm so bad, my shadow chooses not to follow" and "I done ran the streets, check my bio/I started high wit' 2 O's, just like Ohio". I mean, what can you say to that, really? THAT is fucking MCing!

(Who's up for a No Limit Records thread? Love that shit too, the groundbreaking South shit. there's a torrent of their ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY lurking about on the web somewhere...which is excusable, in my book, as a lot of those old albums are very rare/expensive now...crazy really, when they ALL went gold at least)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yes, seen, Juvie was my favourite too back in the day, closely followed by BG. Juvenile's "Ha" is one of my favourite hip hop tunes,

Yup, totally seconded on that, wicked, wicked, wicked tune. It's one of the biggest What The Fuck moments I've ever had with music, upon hearing that for the first time. It was like hearing a new language.

Immryr

un-fucking-believable / little waynes the president / fuck em fuck em fuck em even if they celebate
i know the games crazy / its mo crazy than its ever been / im married to that crazy bitch / call me kevin federline

weezy is that nigga

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Yes, seen, Juvie was my favourite too back in the day, closely followed by BG. Juvenile's "Ha" is one of my favourite hip hop tunes, and you can't underestimate how much Cash Money blew up the game, how revolutionary they were. The video to "Ha" is about the best 'hood video' ever, IMO, dusty 'Nolia projects, some gully locals, real alien kinda vibe to it...if you haven't seen it, Youtube it coz it's great.

thank you so much, i just did and it is great. any other similar recommendations for someone totally ignorant about this period?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I haven't heard any lil wayne before and don't know much about hip hop beside dubble-u-cs mixes but this is blowing me away. I love it how the production is so fluid....he can switch up from doing the deeeeep deep 808 sub crunk type of things to just absolutely mauling samples and its all just amazing. He gave this away free? Is this normal practice in the southern hi[ hop scene? what would you call this, mixtape or album?

zhao

there are no accidents
no no they don't give nuthin out for free. we be doin crime

nobody feelin that Kinfolk/Klashine track?

tom pr

BG's "Chopper City In Da Ghetto" is an incredible album, Mannie Fresh kills it with every track. Recently BG has been worthy, but lacks the old magic...a sturdy, workmanlike rapper but not like the old days. Fuck knows what's happened to Turk...
Chopper City in da Ghetto and Tha Block is Hot are my favourite albums from that period. I think Turk went to jail for a while...

Regarding Lil Wayne, I think he's always been one of the best going. I suppose he slumped a bit around 500 Degreez and then came back more hungry again, but his first two solo albums, along with the Hot Boys albums are great. The start of his verse in 'Boys of War' is one of my favourite musical moments ever, where the beat gets stripped down to just the drum machine, and Wayne comes in:

Nigga what, <i>what?!</i>
Walk it like you talk it nigga
Wayne's sparkin nigga
Bulldogs be barkin nigga

For it to be 1999 again...

This was free, although it leaked before they put the mixtape shit on it (Baby was due to "host").

It's like Weezyana, that was free on the Cash Money site as well.

Noah Baby Food

thank you so much, i just did and it is great. any other similar recommendations for someone totally ignorant about this period?

hmmmm...in my book, just about anything on Cash Money Records from that period is fire, as Mannie Fresh did all the beats. Juvenile "400 Degrees" and "Tha G-Code", BG's "Chopper City in Da Ghetto", the Hot Boys albums, Big Tymers "I Got Dat Work", the soundtrack to "Baller Blockin'"...just pick up what you can, it really is all good.

Also, get some No Limit Records, even if it's just for the awesome productions by Beats By The Pound...Mystikal's "Ghetto Fabulous" is a good start...Master P is one of the worst rappers ever (but he is funny as fuck), but all the albums have guest spots by most of the other artists on the roster from that time, so they're kinda interchangeable.

I still like Southern rap but the excitement isn't really there for me nowadays, it's a little too predictable. I really like Jeezy I must say, but there seems to be a million and one rappers coming out every month and AIN'T NO-ONE SAYING NUTTIN. I know the Cash Money/NL artists were talking that (same old) thug shit/fuckin bitches/smoking weed/etc, but there was a lot more grittiness and reportage, and genuine CHARACTER to what they were doing, compared to, say, Jibbs...