The Tuss

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
It's about the same as the mental fast Analord bits. I don't like it, not my kind of style. There's no melodies or anything to latch on to.

For freaked out acid I really like the new Syntheme on Planet Mu. Unfortunately not available in the US.

I really like Syntheme too, can't find the new single here in the uk either :-/

I think the Tuss is something else in terms of originality though. I like acid stuff for the visceral rush and will never stop loving it but after 20 years of acid house I am more excited to hear something I haven't heard before.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
But it's copied enough I think to where it's almost a genre in itself. May be I am completely wrong on this but is this not in the same vein as that strain of IDM that's been around since late 90's where it's all busy sounds, fast breaks and random melodies. Except instead of samples you have a bit more synths but still doing similar sounds?

Hasn't Luke Vibert covered similar territory? Venetian Snares?

I should make clear that I am not very familiar with this kind of music so it's entirely possible that it's the "it all sounds the same" syndrome, exacerbated by the fact that I don't like the record in question. So if I am wrong and this is in fact a new development without precedent then set me straight.

Last edited:
Not at all. Go and listen to it!
There are no fast breaks, nothing random. Great melodies, quirky ideas, nice sounds, good beats, weird vibe.

I think AFX is in a league of his own really. Lots of people copy but they never come very close, and by the time they do, hes moved on and invented something else. I am not interested in the genre of IDM or electronica much at all but I am very interested in AFX. He is not copying. Most others are.

Personally the hyper cut up stuff is my least favourite AFX music, I prefer his analogue stuff like Analord, ambient works etc.

If you're not into it, obviously I'm not gona say "you're wrong", and it's not a brand new kind of music, but then nothing ever is. But it is original-sounding and very different to anything else out there.

Couldn't say whether it is actually by afx or not....:confused:

mms

sometimes
its happier and more experimental than the analord records, that sounded angry and angst to me in alot of ways.
It's not an album though, its 4 12 inches*, and those 4 records are really good. I'm glad he dropped the acid a bit more on these.
*which is an interesting thing in itself.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I dunno, I heard this today and to me it was like a child that wouldn't sit down, amusing for about 30 secondI really like ambs and then just fucking annoying. I really liked the kind of softer, more spaced out AFX stuff like ambeint and the iz-us tune,but this stuff just pisses me off. It jumps about too much. I'm probably just a wimp.

mms

sometimes
not nearly as detailed as analords, but still a very nice listen. it shows other people had a hand in it.

i think the analords were a little too detailed at times , and i don't think anyone else had a hand in it in all honesty, it sounds like doing aphexisims on diff gear.
There are lots of straight tracks here, i really liked the style he was reaching for ages and ages ago with the brad strider stuff, much sturdier dancefloor tracks.