MIA - kala

gumdrops

ive heard boyz and 20 dollar - both were great. her rappings a bit shit when shes not got a fast beat (she should be a grime MC!) but the production is pretty breathtaking. i loved bird flu too.

hyperfrank

Wild Horses
I heard the whole album, under half of the album is fabulous the rest is very repetitive and boring or just plain music to make your headache. $20 and Boyz are definitely my favourite tracks along with Bamboo banger. Take away all the great productions and your left with some anoying weak rapping.

gumdrops

weak rapping or not, no one else is picking beats like that or really taking risks on production like that. so i can tolerate the poor emceeing. its serviceable.

elgato

I just dont know
cannot wait to hear this, almost entirely on the basis of Switch's involvement. she's sometimes quite irritating, and her lyrics are cringeworthy, but i dont care when the beats are as good his!

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Listening: what is up with this Jimmy song? Am I tripping or is she just rapping over the beat from Jimmy Jimmy (Aaja) (or whatever the name was exactly) from the Disco Dancer soundtrack?

No complaints, I love that soundtrack massively ... very nice surprise.

zhao

there are no accidents
yes some of the beats are very nice, but the vocals entirely wack, not even as catchy as the first one, and sounds like she's just fooling around, not even taking her own fucking album seriously. for shame!

those who like or want to like or don't like MIA -- you HAVE to try the Buraka EP i just posted in its own thread... DAAAAMN!

gumdrops

worthy? lol. yeah, shes like common and talib kweli and the chrstians and bob geldof rolled into one.

tht

akstavrh
not so much inate worthiness, as a kind of misaligned sympathy for various conflated subalterns (nevermind that the tamil/sinhalese thing is an internecine ethnic conflict not a thirdworldist palestinian type situation)

some of the production is very good though (not the gunfire sounds)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
worthy? lol. yeah, shes like common and talib kweli and the chrstians and bob geldof rolled into one.

"Harvest for the World Debt" (Diss to Ice Cube)?

Was talking to a colleague with Sri Lankan parents y'day. Her attitude was fairly scornful towards MIA's chucking in political references to her songs with no context - typical art school student, I think was her verdict. ;)

tht

akstavrh
'talib kweli and the chrstians'

did anyone else search for that on the (very small) offchance that it was an actual supergroup?