domain registration

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
can anyone recommend a good company for domain registration? you know, cheap, reputable, cost effective hosting options etc...

i use easyspace at the mo. there must be a better option.

rewch

these people seem to do all the right things in a hands-off way:

efficient hosting

have been using them for ~6 months...no complaints so far except that if you exceed your disc space they don't tell you or increase your quota & charge you...which can be a plus or a minus depending on whether you want your mail to suddenly disappear...

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
to have control over your domain names keep the domain name registration and the hosting of your site with different companies.

why separate: well if you ever want to move from one hosting company to another it is normally a pain
to move if the hosting company holds the registration (guess why). Also: dotster offers "domain locking"
as standard now (it is surprisingly easy to steal domain names).

I can recommend dotster.com for your registration needs (I have been with four of five others ...)
and also joker.com.

Hosting is another matter: I can't really recommend anyone at the mo (just highlights the need
to keep your domain names in a safe place).

good luck

O

Omaar

A copule of friends have recommended 123reg.co.uk for name registartion and/or hosting. I haven't used it yet, but it seems OK - though you need to pay for 2 years in advance, I don't know if that's standard but its not all that expensive anyway (for 100mb).

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
that looks like a good deal, but their site seems to be intermittently not working. not very encouraging.

ok - here's a thing, and don't flame me, but what about hosting your own website? i have broadband with a fixed ip - figure i could just bung an old box running linux on the network here and host it on that - no bandwidth restrictions!

this is generally frowned upon, but why?

rewch

sufi knows a thing or two about that... you could pm him, although i think his might even run on win 98

poil

Good idea noel, do you really have unlimited bandwidth on your broadband? I get 512k down and 128 up, and supposedly 2gb transfer a month, but they don't seem to check. If you have a static ip and unlimited transfer I can't see why not. May I recommend <a href="http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html">xampp</a> to easily install a webserver and other useful bits.

Myself, I am looking for a cheaper host with more transfer quota per month. I am looking at <a href="http://www.netpivotal.co.uk/products/linux.php">netpivotal</a>'s linux starter plan. Currently I'm hosted with <a href="http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk/">unitedhosting.co.uk</a> who I can recommend for customer service/tech support but who seem a bit pricey now I'm eating up the monthly transfers... Any recommendations for switching?

stevienixed

i suffer rock
i use register.com for my registrations. hosting through aletia. although i now realize there are better ones out there, i have no complaints about'em.

Woebot

Noel Emits said:
i use easyspace at the mo. there must be a better option.

i use easyspace and theyre fucking twats. its IMPOSSIBLE to get any support/advice. it took me 5 weeks to get an answer to an urgent enquiry the other day. i dont think i'll be moving however. ive got three sites with them and, well, blame inertia. at least they're fast and they dont go down. and their webmail rocks. NO SPAM EVER, for real.

xero

was minusone
domaincity are cheap and have pretty snappy customer support - I've used em for about 3 years now for registration & hosting with only a couple of very short periods of downtime