Skream's Funk Set earlier this month

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
this was quite a funky disco session, i only just heard it today - anybody have any idea what his sources were for this or maybe even have a tracklisting knocking about?
i was expecting something different...Ohio Players, Parliament/Funkadelic, you know 70's funk...but Skream delivered stuff i'd never really heard before.
come to think of it a dubstep DJ is unlikely to play out psychedelic funk-rock..:slanted:

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses

DJ PIMP

Has this music been a long-standing influence or is it stuff he's gotten into relatively recently?

petergunn

plywood violin
i listened to like the first third of this while i was cleaning my room the other day... only recognized "situation" by Yaz... some really nice boogie/disco stuff, but it's kinda corny to even use the word "funk", i mean, it's disco, dude!

PeteUM

It's all grist
I was really confused by this set, although i found it fascinating and enjoyable nonetheless. Like, I can get my head round young DJs having a surprising understanding of rare groove/funk/soul or whatever, but I really don't get why Skream is into this stuff. I'm not knocking his taste, because although a lot of what he played was a bit cheesy for me, his genuine enthusiasm and understanding of the music came across very strongly. In fact he made me think about what i was listening to in a new light several times when he drew attention to a bassline or a vocal. But surely Skream was born round about the time when acid etc was killing all of this stuff off? Is it something to do with his parents' tastes?

run_time

tracklisting

anyone care to name some of the choons on the funk set...a lot of it is v familiar but its certainly not something i'm particularly knowledgable in and there doesn't seem to be a tracklisting online