Kano - Typical Me

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Out on the 28th of Feb....

Good choice as a first single? Or another example of an artist changing their style to appeal to the mass market?

I like it as a piece of music, but don't like the idea of it. Bit of a quandry there.

Other thoughts?

Check it out on www.ka-no.com

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I'm pretty dubious about the idea of grime mc's immediately rushing towards hip-hop thinking it will lead to commercial success. I think 'Typical Me' is actually one of the best jobs so far. I mean, it's not surprising that this is what a lot of them are doing, you've got to figure that all of these guys have grown up with hip-hop, yet since their training has mostly been doing faster tempo stuff dropping down to hip-hop tempo just sounds forced and kind of stilted. I was actually really excited to hear the new Roll Deep stuff you played on the Kiss show; I was worried they were heading down the same road but they've kept it distinctly theirs, which is cool.

I got that Bashy 'Ur Mum Vol. 1' and was distinctly unimpressed with the fact that it's virtually all hip-hop (and often not particularly good hip-hop at that). When it actually goes into grime he sounds much better, much more commanding, and his voice works much better with the music. The problem is that the UK rave mc flow (for lack of a better term - the style born with jungle that continues on through today in grime) just sounds kind of weird over hip-hop.

DavidD

can't be stopped
The majority of grime stuff I've heard on various mixtapes that have made their way here ... i preferred the uptempo tracks, the really danceable ones. That said, this song is pretty cool; from my perspective, it sounds like they're trying to do that Lil Jon guitar thing.

Poet for Hire

not in that at all, even though i like the vocal
are 679 trying to make him into the black 'the streets'. . .
i know grime is supposed to be a culture, and more than just a style of music, but this tendency to me is in fact more dubious, less grimey, even than those rephlex albums
allow that guitar bollox

luka

yeah, those guitars and drums sound horrible. i don't like the song at all. the video makes him and ghetto look silly too by juxtaposing their threats with shots of them looking skinny and short and fragile next to enormous evil looking bouncers.

i love kano and i love ghetto but this is madness. i saw it on mtv base though, i was impressed by that.

luka

kano is just about the only one who can ride those slower beats, like how he destroys everyone on mic fight, or him on what we do from lord of the decks

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I think this track is deeply average. It's too soft and slow, and there's too much "concept" about it- "I'm Kano, this is what I'm like, welcome to my world, buy my album". Don't think about the concept, just spit!

Mind you Kano, Demon and Ghetto absolutely rocked on Cameo's 1Xtra show the other day. Off the hook!

S

simon silverdollar

i like kano and ghetto's vocals on it- one the best vocals from kano i've heard in a while, actually-, but the production is just terrible. if it's an attempt to broaden kano's appeal, then i think it'll fail miserably. they should have just given boys love girls a big release.

ghetto looks sharp in that suit in the video, tho.

C

captain easychord

allow that guitar stuff. i don't understand how anyone thinks that wailing van halen riffs are a good idea....

anyway not feeling this tune at all. poor choice as a single.

hint

party record with a siren
I thought typical me is pretty weak - definitely not a single. seems to kinda miss the point if you're pushing an artist as a good example of this hot new sound (grime) but then release singles that instead seem to be trying to challenge the all-conquering US hip-hop / r'n'b stronghold.

kano's much better on that mitchell brothers track if we're talking grime MCs doing hip hop. but even that track is ruined by the streets turning up at the end and adding nothing.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I guess I'm alone in liking it heh, I mean it's certainly not on a par with other stuff he's done (Girls Love Boys, Mic Fight, Gangsta Toyz, etc.) but I still like it.

Logan, I dunno if you've heard much of his album, but is it pretty much all along these lines? That would be a bummer.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
he did this one at the marquee. it was a wierd show - a largely indie/student crowd that didn't seem to be there for kano and who were a little indifferent to his performance and the grime dj set beforehand....but with demon and ghetto for company, he put on a decent show anyhoe and from the tunes I heard, the album sounds as though it'll be good. 'typical me' is ok, but should be just an album track and not the new single.

Fiddy

I don't think it's the labels necessarily pushing the artists into more experimental territory - look at Big ED's Da Rush. Personally I'm feeling Typical Me. I wouldn't a whole album of that sound though... this is a problem I've had with all albums coming from the grime scene, they often lack the artists best moments (imagine what Treddin On Thin Ice could have been like). I don't like the hip hop route that Bashy has taken and so many others are doing but when it's original material, i.e. Target who makes some of the best hip hop influenced 'grime' it's a different story. The lovely thing with the scene though is there's something for everyone.

Wrong

hint said:
I thought typical me is pretty weak - definitely not a single. seems to kinda miss the point if you're pushing an artist as a good example of this hot new sound (grime) but then release singles that instead seem to be trying to challenge the all-conquering US hip-hop / r'n'b stronghold.

I quite like the track - despite the slower pace, the vocals do sound distinctive, not too hip-hoppy. But I agree with your point generally. It would really be a shame if the first few hyped grime releases made people think they were just another entry in the long line of mediocre UK hip-hop.

mms

sometimes
Fiddy said:
I don't think it's the labels necessarily pushing the artists into more experimental territory - look at Big ED's Da Rush. something for everyone.

yeah a deftones sample and white noise, fucking hell.
really makes me wonder what inspired them there. i think as martin clarke pointed out there is loads of space for pushing the boundaries to the max in grime and it's a mark of a good tune in way if it pushes the envelope but still remains catchy.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Making a tune out of a Deftones tune might seem less than inspired to you, but if you understand the scene, then you would know how different from the norm that is.

And for the record, Typical Me is actually "Garage" speed.

mms

sometimes
Logan Sama said:
Making a tune out of a Deftones tune might seem less than inspired to you, but if you understand the scene, then you would know how different from the norm that is.

And for the record, Typical Me is actually "Garage" speed.

i think you got me wrong mate. i think that track is amazing, esp the white noise stuff as well, burying the chorus in static. read again, i'm well enthusiastic about it.
I haven't had the chance to be a player in the scene like you, but i think i know a standout unusual and innovative track when i hear it. ;)