Run The Road, 4th March

Fiddy

Just in - Run The Road 4th March @ Fabric, Farringdon. Main room Kano, Wiley, D Double E, Riko, No Lay and more tbc. DJ's Cameo, Mac 10 and Semtex. PA's on the night of Chosen One, Boogie Man (tbc), P's & Q's etc...
www.runtheroad.com

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Bought the CD today (placed at the front of new releases at HMV).

I am pleased that the track which is on my pirate excerpt (mp3, Lay Low FM) is on the album:
it is No Lay's "Unorthadox Daughter". What a talent/song.

I am obviously coming from the "wrong background" into this
("ex-punk, synth, anything quirky - anything actually"),
instead of what I presume the more "real" and PC way
("young, UK garage, hip-hop");
but for me the standout track is the one from No Lay.

"Unorthadox Daughter" is the best track I've heard since Gillian Welch's "Time (The Revelator)"
(which has nothing to do with anything of this, it's just a magic, perfect song).

The mix of "Unorthadox Daughter" on LayLow had some "helium" thing going in the lyrics.
So I have to find that (should be OK, I live in South London).

Just had one quick listen (apart from "U D", that track is like a drug for me at the moment: it's urgent, in your face music and just so effing "modern" and different).
Kano is an obvious talent - and I really liked "Cap Back" by Wonder&Plan B.

Last edited:

Fiddy

luka said:
who the fuck is no lay anyway, iv'e never heard of her.

She's part of the Unorthodox Family, a four piece crew from West London (although No Lay is from South). This is her first vinyl outing, has a video on Channel U though with her clique. Listen out for some of the stuff she's been doing with Geeneus, think Logan's been playing the track. She's also featured in the new Tense Magazine coming out next week but will be uploading full interview on my blog soon.

originaldrum

from start till done
luka said:
who the fuck is no lay anyway, iv'e never heard of her.

unorthodox fam tore it up on the garage weekender on 1extra - cameos show, there was an unorthodox single about a little while ago calle no help or handouts, big tune on a silkee track

believe it or not nolay turned up on high contrasts album - hospital recs

luka

oh her, i quite like her. that unorthodox thing was on channel u about 5000 times a day. she was the best thing on it.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I've put a 30 second or so sample of the track here (+fading).

http://www.halvorsen.org/audio/samples/UnorthadoxDaughterextract35sec.mp3

on the the "pre-listen" on runtheroad.com you just hear parts of the intro,
which really doesn't give you any idea of what the track is like (no vocals).

best thing I've heard for ages (I haven't heard that much grime yet - listening to it on CD
is very different from listening to sets on the radio.
heading down to my local this weekend to see if I can find stuff like Bossman's "Bongo Eyes II").

(that's 10% of the track@96Kbps, which I have no ethical problems with providing online (see DRM/MP3 debates)).

stelfox

Beast of Burden
this line-up is incredible:

Fri 4th Mar 05

RUN THE ROAD:

Kano

Wiley & Roll Deep

D Double E

Riko

Bruza

Taliban Trim

No Lay

DJ Semtex

Cameo

J33

Mac 10

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'm deffo going. i believe si silverdollar will be coming, too, and ther seems to be a lot of interest from the other guys, too.