Keep waiting for someone else...

swears

preppy-kei
Pitchfork is annoying, and not in a good way. I suppose you shouldn't read it unless you're a drippy US college kid who grew up listening to Pavement or whatever. Every other band featured on there seems to have at least two members with a beard.

The hippies of the 00s? (Like in the 70s when hippies were the pop culture establishment.)

redcrescent

Love the Onion, but to be fair there's some very good Pitchfork columns you'd be a fool to miss, This Month in... Dancehall/Reggae, Grime/Dubstep etc. especially.

swears

preppy-kei
Love the Onion, but to be fair there's some very good Pitchfork columns you'd be a fool to miss, This Month in... Dancehall/Reggae, Grime/Dubstep etc. especially.

True, true...overall, it pisses me off though. I read "This month in Techno" and then I have to go to another site quick before I see any beards or American Apperel ads.

crackerjack

Pitchfork isn't that bad, you just have to pick and choose. that thing was funny though.

Yeah, it serves a purpose, is generally pretty well written and at its best communicates passion. It is incredibly self-important though, and that Onion piece nails it perfectly.

Especially this bit:

Despite music's defenders, the Pitchfork review has made a deep impression on the thousands of music fans who slavishly follow the website's advice when it comes to enjoying things.

"Music used to be great, but let's be honest, it's a 6.8 now at best," said Los Angeles resident Lowell Radler, 23, who admitted that he just looked at the rating rather than reading the whole review. "I seriously might never listen to music again."

swears

preppy-kei
That decimal point rating system is stupid though, rating stuff from 1 to 10 was meaningless enough, and now they have to have that point in there!

gravious

The onion is probably my favourite publication ever.

The articles are almost invariably hilarious, spot-on or both.

This article is pretty much amongst the latter.

(no offense to pitchfork contributors...:D)

Its a shame there are so many bloody adverts on there now.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

^ One of my all time favourites. Written at least 2 years before gilette actually tacked another blade on.

swears

preppy-kei
SomethingAwful did a great one-off pisstake when they made a fake 'Rich Dork Media' site, I'll see if I can dig it up...

Edit: here it is http://www.somethingawful.com/fakesa/richdork/

10.0: Must be Radiohead
9.5-9.9: Great enough to play on your college radio set
9.0-9.4: Try playing this one on your guitar all night in your dorm room
8.5-8.9: The CD is pretty good but runs the risk of becoming mainstream
8.0-8.4: You should buy any green washed out retro t-shirts by this band
7.5-7.9: Good enough for maybe a sticker on your guitar case
7.0-7.4: Decent enough to talk about in the coffee shop
6.0-6.9: Needs more white guitarists with black-rimmed glasses
5.0-5.9: Might be good for a fratboy band, those neanderthals
4.0-4.9: Reviewer couldn't find any Cloves before writing and was angry
3.0-3.9: Too many unintelligent people might understand it