keith jarrett

bruno

est malade
another case of i didn't like and now i do, i'm deep into tribute and standards. tell me what is dear to your heart and what is avoidable, i'm wary of the super prolific but intrigued.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
definitely the köln concerto. it totally opened my eyes and ears to a new way of interacting with classical instrumentation. he really gets into the guts of the piano, pulls the strings with his hands, hits it percussively, grunts and moans and almost humps the thing, it's an amazing record and quite beautiful, too.

Benny Bunter

Only know him through his time with Miles Davis, but you certainly can't go wrong with 'Live-Evil'. But then you probably know that already...

bruno

est malade
stelfox thanks, i have jotted that down. i think the pristine open space aspect is what has sucked me in to jarrett, live evil is the exact opposite of this.

zhao

there are no accidents
live in Paris is good also. there are loads of dodgy to terrible Jarret records though.

he learned a lot from Paul Bley. if you like introverted, beautiful jazz solo piano, might want to look into him... interesting like a chess game, but with lots of heart...

tonight i go to see Harold Budd :D

Benny Bunter

You're right, 'Live-evil' is a very dense record like most of Miles' music at the time.

I'm now really intrigued to hear some of Jarrett's own stuff after hearing your description though...

jenks

thread death
Really love KJ - very distinct phases - his European band in the 70s, his American trio in 80s, 90s and his solo work.

I love The Melody At Night With You - a solo piano work of standards - I loves You Porgy etc which is just the most limpid delicate music.

La Scala is good for improv solo work and for KJ heads are the two box sets - Live At The Sun Bear and At The Blue Note which are among the most loved CDs in my collection

bruno

est malade
nice, thank you jenks. i'm glad jarrett came up as i was about to re-tread the bill evans path (who i could listen to again and again until the end of time, mind you).

jenks

thread death
You can't mention Jarrett without mentioning Bill Evans really can you?

A good modern piano player is Brad Mehldau - his Art of the Trio series is part of a direct lineage through Evans and KJ. He has being doing solo stuff of standards and takes on modern songs (Radiohead and Nick Drake for example) without being wacky - much in same the way that Evans did with things like Paul Simon's I do it for your Love and Theme From MASH in those graet late albums. He also has been working on original compositions which are virtuoso performances.

We had a really nice piano players thread a while back - lots of real expertise shown by people who know much more about this stuff than i do.

zhao

there are no accidents
the piano thread... i remember that... someone posted 8 minutes of Feldman's Four Hands which sent me on a rampage... and now a year or 2 later and I'm neck deep in his discography. :D

shudder

second the Paris Concert recommendation.

Funny that you mention Mehldau, Jenks. I just dug up his first solo LP "Elegiac Cycle" this week, and have been playing it a bunch. It occasionally veers into the sententious, but definitely has many lovely moments.

I just downloaded a pretty rad avant-y jazz piano "mixtape" compiled by Vijay Iyer here, but it seems that they've taken it down. I'll re-up if anyone's interested.

STN

sou'wester
Koln Concert
Birth
Keith Jarrett and Gary Burton is lovely if you like vibes - I'd like In Your Own Quiet Place played at my funeral. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaw. Are you allowed nine minutes of tinkly-pinkly jazz? I do hope so.

Bop Be is a load of boring old shit if you ask me.

Leo

i've never heard koln concert but read a few reviews that felt the grunts-n-growns were a little pretensious. do they distract?