Scene Primers

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Over at the genius sountracks thread I said I thought the Hackers soundtrack made a pretty decent "techno" primer for my electronic-musically-challenged mates. More specifically, this soundtrack draws some interesting lines through what was happening in the UK rave scene in 1992-1993.

After typing it, the idea of scene primers started to intrigue me. What do other Dissensions think of as primer comps for scenes like 'ardcore, grime, reggaeton, UKG, chicago house, micro-house, jungle, or whatever.

Give us your favs. Let the lists begin.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I think Logical Progression is a very good comp to illustrate that particular side of dnb as it developed up til '96, it starts off with Demon's Theme, which was one of the earliest ambient-ardkore tunes, and then takes in stuff like Music, Horizons, One and Only, Vocal Tune etc.

Great mix cd as well.

hint

party record with a siren
the compilation put out by radio one in 1995 to accompany its 1 in the jungle show was pretty strong actually, and covered a wide variety of d'n'b styles - from the no-brainer jump up of aphrodite to the tricksy darkness of dillinja.

they gave 6 "names" (kenny ken, brockie, dj rap, goldie, shy FX and roni size) the chance to pick 3 tracks each - 2 current favourites and one all-time classic. sure - there's some clunkers on there, but there's also a batch of tracks that I've always classed as being among my all time favourites:

firefox + 4tree - warning (one of my favourite tracks of all time in any genre)
da intalex - I like it (rmx)
tek 9 - a london sometin
doc scott - here comes the drums

and so on...

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
That does look really good, actually. I never got that cos I was 16 and '4 REAL' (haha) and I wasn't going to buy some Radio 1 shit.

Engineers Without Fears - Spiritual Aura - one of my favorite dnb tunes evar!

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
hint said:
firefox + 4tree - warning (one of my favourite tracks of all time in any genre)

Is that the 'this is a warning, warning, warning, warning' track? With the female vocal?

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
though difficult to take in one sitting, soundmurderer's wired for sound is pretty good indicator of how far amen+808 bass+ragga can be pushed...

the carbon comp on mirex records is a good heads up on the state of breakcore at the moment. xanapticon, enduser, duranduranduran, ove naxx all turn in sterling trax, as well as surprise treats like hecate's quite 'mystic' track (not a surprise she made it, but that it actually works this time)

tek-9 - london something - my brother downloaded this track from audiogalaxy ages ago by accident while looking for some rapper called tek9... damn fine piece of work.

i'd like to know a good microhouse primer, or better yet, a sweet online microhouse mix. been searching for yonkers but cant find one which can hold my attention and doesnt stray into (bleh) detroit elevator company style deep house . . . . .

Backjob

There's a holy trinity of three mixes which virtually define the Microhouse genre:

Triple R - "Friends" (Kompakt)
Michael Mayer - "Immer" (Kompakt)
Tobias Thomas - "Smallville" (Kompakt)

I think "Immer" is the pick of the bunch, and the purest expression of the sound you'll get anywhere.

As for online mixes - there are tons!

This one doesn't really answer your question as it is kind of microhouse/electrohouse gray zone crossover, but is really excellent (and at 2 hours long gives you value for er... free):

Matt Coleridge mix

robin

agreed on those three mixes,kompakt total 3 might be worth a listen too,that's the album that got me into microhouse,still one of my favourites