New Wu Tang mixtape

crackerjack

crackerjack

Heard the new album a few times now and - after a slow, slow start - it's really growing on me. Seems to make more sense on headphones than the stereo and there's a track called Wolves with george Clinton that I love,

gumdrops

not heard the new album yet (who on earth designed that cover?!) but much as i love the wu, come on, these guys are kinda done now. they still have their moments but they just dont have that hunger anymore.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I thought so too but after a brief & partial listen to the new record: no, they are not done quite yet ...

petergunn

plywood violin
new ghostface, can be streamed on def jam's site:

http://music.defjam.com/www2/av_pla...v_link_group_id=52&av_type_id=1&cms_site_id=1

TRACKLIST

1. At The Cabana Skit Performed by Ghostface Killah and Rhythm Roots Allstars
2. Toney Sigel a.k.a. The Barrel Brothers featuring Beanie Sigel
3. Yolanda's House featuring Raekwon & Method Man
4. We Celebrate featuring Kid Capri
5. Walk Around
6. Yapp City featuring Trife Da God & Sun God
7. White Linen Affair (Toney Awards) featuring Shawn Wigs
8. Supa GFK
9. Rec-Room Therapy featuring Raekwon & U-God
10. The Prayer Performed by Ox
11. I'll Die For You
12. Paisley Darts featuring Raekwon, Sun God, Trife Da God, Method Man & Cappadonna
13. Shakey Dog Starring Lolita featuring Raekwon
14. ! Performed by Ghostface Killah and Rhythm Roots Allstars
15. Killa Lipstick featuring Method Man & Masta Killa
16. Slow Down featuring Chrisette Michele

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Between the mixtape and the album there's a wicked selection; a blog guy pointed out (can't find reference now, unfortunately) that what the album does is make you revisit, relisten to RZA's work - I spent all weekend listening to the instrumentals of the early wu releases - and seeing just quite how brilliant they are, just really completely phenomenal. I always knew that but wouldn't have given them such an intense listen.
I'm pleasantly surprised, and am listening to a compilation of the mixtape and album much more than I thought I would have done - i.e. more than in just passing interest to see how bad things had gotten.

crackerjack

The Ghostface sounds really disappointing. A month ago I was really looking forward to this and kinda dreading the Wu - total turn around.

gumdrops

quite like the album actually. its not terrible how a lot of people were making out at all. its not blinding of course, and some of the choruses are a bit poor, but the clan all still sound really strong. shame some of the samples are a bit obvious, but rza is trying something a bit different here, a bit more ambient or meditative or something than usual. not always in the best way, but its a good album. better than iron flag. you forget just how good they all are as mcs.

the new ghost is a lot more subtle than his more recent stuff, i think, all the better for it. really cohesive package.

petergunn

plywood violin
the new ghost is a lot more subtle than his more recent stuff, i think, all the better for it. really cohesive package.

yeah, that is what i mean when i say it reminds me of Iron Man... no weird MF Doom stuff, no club bangers, just a lot of classic soul samples and breaks...