Free Jazz's Continuity of Influence?

Rachel Verinder

The free jazz/improv element wasn't "dumped" post-New Pop; see Bristol in the '80s passim and everything which happened as a consequence.

Propaganda to thread, obv.

Woebot

Rachel Verinder said:
The free jazz/improv element wasn't "dumped" post-New Pop; see Bristol in the '80s passim and everything which happened as a consequence.

Passed on this before, but seeing as how I can probably get quite a well-heeled explanation, I've come back to rake the ashes a little.

Being quite cautious here. Although I wouldn't deny the continued importance and progression of Improv post-1983 (not that I'd know really but...), for the life of me I can't see it reaching into the broader culture as much as it did in the days of Toop and Beresford collaborating with The Slits, Rip, Rig and Panic or Tristan Honsinger playing with The Pop Group. Isn't the Company week phenomenon an archetypal instance of Improv asserting its self-sufficency and independence?

Further to this, and here I may be misunderstanding you, when you say Bristol in the 1980s (I take it you're referring to TPG and RRaP) I can't see the Free/Improv thread extending from it any further, even though (of course!) those groups proved to influential in terms of "Mutant Dance" (and that tag could apply to Tricky as much as the New Wave of New Wave). Isn't it the Dub/Rock/HipHop collision their real legacy?

Thinking it through as I write this I do get your point a bit, but is "skronkiness" a valid enough indicator of Improvs sustaining impact?

Last edited:

Woebot

split this thread cos i'm genuinely interested in hearing more about this. hope this is ok.

Rachel Verinder

I think it's correct to say that the dub/hiphop template was more urgent and key than the skronk template as far as the Wild Bunch et al were concerned, but I was thinking more in terms of an attitudinal template deriving from the idea of "world music" as exemplified by the Cherry family (as opposed to the bland Gillett global broth of World Music TM) - and Don and Neneh really are absolutely crucial to this whole development; there's a line which extends from Carla Bley via Lou Reed and Talking Heads (and ergo No Wave) via Ian Dury to the post-All Saints Second Coming of New Pop (2001-2), the latter of which could not have happened without Neneh and Cameron McVey. Also an attitudinalising - a kind of Braxtonian darkness, if you will - without which Massive Attack and Tricky wouldn't have had the same punctum (compare the absolute lack of multiple layers in something like Soul II Soul or So Solid). Strange how Maximum Joy, universally regarded as the runt of the '80s Bristol movement, ended up being the most directly influential, via Nellee Hooper and what have you.

Company Week - yes, well DB went out of his way to get the wild cards in there every year (Suzuki and Yoshizawa in '82, Buckethead in '91) if only to try to demolish the idea of a hermetically secure, self-sufficient community of music. If you read the Company Week section in Ben Watson's Bailey biog, he's very good at delineating and pinpointing exactly who made the differences to each year of music and where, when and how they did it, in order to continually derail consumer expectations. I remember very well in '82 - and if you look carefully at the sleeve of the Epiphany/Epiphanies album, you'll see an 18-year-old hirsute (and much better looking bah humbug) me sitting beneath the bell of George Lewis' trombone (though you can't see the newly purchased copy of Lexicon Of Love nestling at my feet, hah) - how it all seemed to be going (via the Tippetts and Wachsmann) up to Vaughan Williams New Age country until the two Japs started inverting everyone's expectations and forced the musicians to think and improvise differently, and better.

Zorn was an occasional Company participator as well, of course, but then I'd have to expand the argument to take in what I christened last year as "the Sonic Youth effect" - i.e. the mode of thinking which actually succeeded in taking improv away from being The Weird Tributary Of Modern Jazz and into more of a self-sufficient and specific musical genre. And you can spot post-Bailey/Arto/Chadbourne motifs coming into the work of the Pixies, Nirvana, the Huskers, Rollins and so on and so forth; such as Brotzmann's Machine Gun now keeps getting referred to as "proto-speed metal." Occasionally you will get the Scott Walkers of this world who will adopt and renew elements of improv strategies into entire new aesthetic pictures (Tilt is as much indebted to Cardew and Barry Guy's LJCO as it is to Scriabin and Bartok). And there are the even more isolated occasional visionaries - the early work of AR Kane stands out as a premier example of improv gambits translated into something not quite pop but eerily exceeding it (note for avant-garde mixers: the end of the 69 album - "Spanish Quay" - segues very nicely into the beginning of AMM's The Inexhaustible Document).

For those with the nerve to venture into post-Maxinquaye Tricky, you might be surprised to find rhythms re-boxed from Ornette's Prime Time decorating Angels With Dirty Faces. PJ Harvey too when she's in one of her rawer moods. And then there are Primal Scream and Spiritualized - the obsessives who stocked up on the free jazz back catalogue (or in the case of one of these bands, borrowed/taped them from me waaaaay back in the day) and refracted it out to freak out a new and not so naive audience. The Aphex Twin without AMM to precede him? Very different indeed.

So, while I could not say that there is a direct, unbroken line of unrelenting free jazz/improv influence on pop as it is known, its elements have endured and evolved to such an extent that, far from being dumped, the influence has continued to be absorbed in less specific but more subtle ways.

Rachel Verinder

Oh yes, and the whole Free Folk thing (at least its Scottish contingent) derives fairly directly from improv-originated procedurals, via mediators like Bill Wells and Richard Youngs.

zoilus

Rachel Verinder said:
So, while I could not say that there is a direct, unbroken line of unrelenting free jazz/improv influence on pop as it is known, its elements have endured and evolved to such an extent that, far from being dumped, the influence has continued to be absorbed in less specific but more subtle ways.

A few more such notes: The late-Coltrane influence on the early seventies Detroit scene of MC5 and Stooges = underlying free-jazz-derived skronk factor in punk guitar, just plain permanently. (Which should not be confused with all "noise" elements in guitar music because there's also the minimalist-drone influence from more non-jazz New Music sources that comes in via the Velvet Underground.)

And then Pere Ubu and Mission of Burma bringing the Ornette, and DNA et al in NYC bringing the Ayler. As Rachel sez, from there into 80s post-punk in general not to mention the recent No Wave/No Disco revival.

Then you've got the free-jazz-influenced Japanese noise scene (via the Nihilist Spasm Band etc. though of course they also have their Fluxus influence), and Sonic Youth's myriad influences and their participation in free improv circles of all kinds (see their recent collabortions with Mats Gustafsson eg.) - leading more directly than anything else does to today's "noise" renaissance in the post-indie-rock scene. Sonic Youth gets paid lip service but I think they're extraordinarily influential - more influential than original, but extremely able popularizers/propagandists - and that will look clearer from a future distance than it does today.

One element unmentioned so far is the direct crossover between the free-jazz scene in Chicago and the post-rock scene of Tortoise et al and the indie-rock scene there in the late 1990s, by which genealogy I think there's arguably a free-jazz influence on pretty much all current indie instrumental rock. There's a huge free-jazz element to the Constellation scene in Montreal of course, much of came via Chicago influence although also some from the Knitting Factory side and some from the musique actuelle scene in Quebec itself.

I'm curious whether it'd be at all legit to say there's also an Ornette element, via NYC art-noise scene's interactions with early hip-hop, to the noise side of hip-hop that evolved in the 1980s a la the Bomb Squad and all its progeny. Or if anyone else can provide concrete cases of free-jazz sampling etc. in hip-hop (not counting Thirsty Ear Blue Series and the like obvs.) And also about the free-jazz influence in bedsit electronica and digital hardcore - seems to be more of a connection to Xenakis and Stockhausen and other compositional music but is there an improv element?

And Rachel, I'm curious where the free-folk scene and jazz-derived free improv do intersect. Of course they do, but what's the genealogy?

(Huh. My first real Dissensus post. Hi everybody.)

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Does anybody know details about the Theo Parrish SunRa remix(es)? I don't know if this really counts as an influence but ...

Dubquixote

Submariner
wish i had more time to write on this. great topic.

i think the thing at the core of what 'free jazz' was attempting is deeply connected to AFRO-FUTURISM, or a kind of MYSTIC FUTURISM, and looked at as such the lineage / legacy of free jazz beyond jazz extends through the deep trance grooves of james brown / parliament (plenty of whose members went on to do more explicit avant/free projects, eg bootsy and worrell's PRAXIS albums w/ BILL LASWELL, also including, i believe, the turntablist GRANDMASTER DXT, which nicely connects to the very free jazz leanings of TURNTABLISTS like DJ Q-BERT and the SCRATCH PICKLES. maybe i'm laboring the connection of free jazz to afro-futurism, but wouldn't you have to consider the militant technologist-futurism of DETROIT TECHNO pioneers like JUAN ATKINS, DERRICK MAY, etc. in there as well, leading right through to the UK's parallel figures like A GUY CALLED GERALD, 4 HERO, METALHEADZ. the militancy is worth noting, too, considering free jazz's association with the radical politics of the BLACK PANTHERS....

on a side note, a year or two ago ANDY C was starting his sets out with a track that contained about 5 minutes of free jazz drumming before getting to the tearout. haven't heard free jazz sampled so explicitly before in that context...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Dubquixote said:
wouldn't you have to consider the militant technologist-futurism of DETROIT TECHNO pioneers like JUAN ATKINS, DERRICK MAY, etc. in there as well,

yes and also with guys like Theo Parrish (mention again!) and Champion Soul out of NYC. Reading these guys liner note mini-essays I always feel transported back to the land of Sun Ra and Don Cherry. It's the same kind of mystic expansion vibe.

B

be.jazz

A simple example, on their first album, at least, The Cinematic Orchestra had improvisers like Tom Chant in the band.

redcrescent

Or Spring Heel Jack playing with Matthew Shipp, Evan Parker, Han Bennink, William Parker, and, uh, Spiritualized's Jason Pierce.

B

be.jazz

be.jazz said:
A simple example, on their first album, at least, The Cinematic Orchestra had improvisers like Tom Chant in the band.
Yes, but I was following zoilus's recommendation: "(not counting Thirsty Ear Blue Series and the like obvs.) "

redcrescent

be.jazz said:
Yes, but I was following zoilus's recommendation: "(not counting Thirsty Ear Blue Series and the like obvs.) "
Shit, I hadn't read that. OK, early Tied+Tickled Trio, then. Sounded at times like Pharoah Sanders over electronic stylings.

Jesse D Serrins

zoilus said:
I'm curious whether it'd be at all legit to say there's also an Ornette element, via NYC art-noise scene's interactions with early hip-hop, to the noise side of hip-hop that evolved in the 1980s a la the Bomb Squad and all its progeny. Or if anyone else can provide concrete cases of free-jazz sampling etc. in hip-hop (not counting Thirsty Ear Blue Series and the like obvs.)

Well, another obvious one is Madlib, although I must admit I haven't quite figured out how he factors into the hip-hop world at large. Plus, the actual free-jazz and Sun Ra connection comes through in attitude more so than musically, until you get into the Yesterday's New Quintet stuff.