Yusef Lateef

STN

sou'wester
Only got Eastern Sounds, which is well wicked. What else is good? I can't be bothered with any boring bop stuff (I don't know that he's done any, but lots of people have haven't they?), only weird stuff and exceptional bop.

Cheers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Only got Eastern Sounds, which is well wicked. What else is good? I can't be bothered with any boring bop stuff (I don't know that he's done any, but lots of people have haven't they?), only weird stuff and exceptional bop."
Coincidentally enough I ordered one of his albums yesterday, the one with a theremin 'cause I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I'll report back when I get it. Other than that I've got the one with Sister Mamie on, which is Live at Peps Volume... 1 or is it 2? Anyway, that's good obviously.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
'The Diverse Yusef Lateef' is pretty good, well the second side anyway. Chandra is all drifting strings and flute and strange metallic scraping sounds. Judging by the 2-fer I have this on he has done some truly horrible stuff - Symphonic Blues Suite anyone? :eek:

zhao

there are no accidents
both volumes of Live at Peps are excellent. he brings out some crazy moody gypsy/indian tones.

there are others that are good, i'll have a poke around in my trad.jazz hard drive and get back to you.

yeah there were also some strange and some terrible recordings... a bit like Roland Kirk's discography -- lots of death defying unbelievable genius, but also lots of cheesy rubbish. i think the bad ones were a result of them getting tired of sleeping in cheap hotels, and wanting a decent meal for a change...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
there are others that are good, i'll have a poke around in my trad.jazz hard drive and get back to you.
I like your definition of 'trad'.

I've got The Blue Yusef Lateef, which has some great bits and some plodding bluesy shuffle bits. Worth it for the good bits though.

gumdrops

i saw him 'opening' for don byron a few years back. this is an overused word but he really was mesmerising. dont know which of his records are best to get though. his son was/is a hip hop producer actually, he did a good onyx/wu tang song called the worst.

zhao

there are no accidents
he still lives in Venice California, 80 something years old, and has been known to step out from time to time and kick up a little dust at informal and non advertised jam sessions behind record stores and whatnot. i missed one by a day once and was bummed.

this dude jeremy i know has recorded with him, so if anyone wishes to send him flowers...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I utterly love Eastern Sounds which is an absolute classic, and unreservedly recommend Cry! Tender and The Centaur And The Phoenix, which are very much in the same vein.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Coincidentally enough I ordered one of his albums yesterday, the one with a theremin 'cause I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I'll report back when I get it."
This finally turned up. Haven't had time to listen properly but on a quick needle drop it seems as though the theremin is used fairly unobtrusively and tastefully. What a shame.