Goldie returnz...

Benny Bunter

So, I was thinking of going to see Goldie at the toon on Saturday night for me birthday. Anyone know if it'll actually be any good? Whats the crack, has he got a new album coming out or something?

I don't know very much about drum n bass (loved inner city life at the time though), but they're gonna be playing dubstep in the other room so I wanna go any way.

In a related dnb query, I'm also going to see Limewax next month, purely because Trim's on the same night. (Yes, TRIM!!! in Newcastle, I couldn't believe it!). So what are Limewax like then?

greeneyes

Bit Mangler
Limewax is heavy, heavy, heavy. Worth seeing if you're in to hearing some modern day extremity from a young gun.

straight

wings cru
does limewax make dnb? all i heard was that 'one of them' track (may have been a mix) and it was a sort of trancy bassline roller that went all amens at the end in fact i had assumed it was a drop the lime related project, it sounded inbetween his newer bassline/dubstep work and the older IDM craic

ether

i'm not really in the loop when comes to dnb i tend to avoid it if possible as ive seen and heard enough for two lifetimes.

saw goldie last year though playing on valve, his tune selections fairly sturdy, and his essential mix (last year) was excellent. general consensus is his mixing ain't up too much though.

and yes he has an album out last year engineered by heist i think 'Malice In Wonderland'

the best had definitely been and gone imo. probably best looking out for one of those history-of sets that seem to be popular at the mo. i know doc scott did a history of metalheadz recently.

Alfons

Way of the future
Goldie should be good, kind of depends on the circumstances I would imagine, i.e. whos on the line up besides him, the crowd, the club.... But definitely one of the best dj's in contemporary dnb (selection wise, his mixing can be a little bit off as mentioned, but who really cares...)

I thought Malice in Wonderland was really good, dancefloor buisness with an edge to it, Monkey Boy, Grouper, Shutting you Down and Beez were favourites. He has a 12" out on Exit Recordings now, Is This Real, which I really like, old school metalheadz vibes.

I think Limewax is cool, I like that sort of stuff, artists like Limewax, Current Value, Panacae. The style has been called snare and bass which I find funny, the sound seems close to gabba or breakcore in a way, take it with a grain of salt. Dunno if I would be able to make it through a whole night of that stuff tho.

Immryr

ha! i have been telling myself, and a million other people, that i will be recording something soon for the past few years.

still havent got around to it!

Benny Bunter

Grime, Grime and nothing but Grime.

Great! Really looking forward to this now, I've still yet to hear any Grime played out in a club.
None of my mates like it and actually make fun out of me for listening to it, the cloth-eared dummies!

Immryr > you sort of have to do that mix now, seems like yer bluffs been called mate! ;)

Immryr

there will be another big name grime artist up here in march too. it seems the promoter is keeping the specifics under his hat for now so i guess i wont blurt out exactly who it is. all i can say is boy better know its gonna be big.

Benny Bunter

there will be another big name grime artist up here in march too. it seems the promoter is keeping the specifics under his hat for now so i guess i wont blurt out exactly who it is. all i can say is boy better know its gonna be big.

Think I know who you mean (fingers crossed!)

Lethal Bizzle played the Cluny a few weeks ago. Went down there to see him but I couldn't get in. From all accounts it was probably for the best though...

And then Dizzee's up here next month, but I don't think I could bear it. Fucking hate the Carling Academy!

Immryr

yeah i saw dizzee last time he was here with the newham gens. it was ok. worth going to see just to laugh at semtex.

cutups

does limewax make dnb? all i heard was that 'one of them' track (may have been a mix) and it was a sort of trancy bassline roller that went all amens at the end in fact i had assumed it was a drop the lime related project, it sounded inbetween his newer bassline/dubstep work and the older IDM craic

Most likely you heard that kanji kinetic remix, which sounds nothing like limewax.
Limewax's stuff is super intense and stripped down heavy breakcore-influenced drum and bass.