Physics Funding Cuts

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
It's such a silly thing to do. I was really angry about it. Just going to turn this country into even more of a collective retard.

Equally the £112.5 million cut to Arts Council England, and their subsequent appalling handling of the situation...

£13 million in cuts to English Heritage

etc.

Almost everything worthwhile is on its knees, paying for the Olympics (who asked?) and incomprehensibly vast, systematic governmental inefficiency and waste

But don't worry because Britain is on the verge of a new Renaissance in the arts comparable to that of Italy in the 15th century:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/arts/story/0,,2235753,00.html

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This McMaster guy is fucking mental.

Actually he's not, most people around the arts that I know (myself included) have been saying and arguing for similar things - that Mcmaster said - for years. Previously in order to qualify for arts funding you have had to meet a certain amount of criteria surrounding audience figures, budget and such that have been totally unreasonable to anyone operating outside of a community arts system, which is why you've seen so much art in your borough, artists working in schools etc.

While this is entirely worthwhile, it's not quite the same thing as producing other types of work, which have maybe suffered as a result. It's also meant that alot of the work has suffered as a result of artists tailoring their work in order to get funding, as opposed to the funders tailoring their applications. Which has basically meant that in order to get artist funding, you have to hire a 'consultant' who then fills in the applications for you, who is a consultant who has been through various Arts Council run courses which tell you how to get arts council funding. It's a very middle management based approach. But basically alot of shite work has come out of that particular system.

It's an interesting thing for them to have done, I've personally been arguing with the Arts Council for years on this particular subject. I don't agree with funding being cut from other areas though.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Sure, I see your points. I know a couple of people who've been though loads of bullshit and red tape to apply for an arts grant or lottery funding. But he's hyping up the supposed benefits of these reforms to a ridiculous extreme. A new renaissance? Why not throw in an enlightenment while you're at it?
It's spin taken to another level: you could never make these claims for education or the health service, but since nobody can really quantify art, he can come out with stuff like this.

mistersloane

Sure, I see your points. I know a couple of people who've been though loads of bullshit and red tape to apply for an arts grant or lottery funding. But he's hyping up the supposed benefits of these reforms to a ridiculous extreme. A new renaissance? Why not throw in an enlightenment while you're at it?
It's spin taken to another level: you could never make these claims for education or the health service, but since nobody can really quantify art, he can come out with stuff like this.

Yup! I think though if I'd been head of the Edinburgh Festival for that long though I'd probably be trying to make the most of it and all, I can't begin to imagine how many dinner parties the poor old bloke had to attend with people trying to cotch his influence.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I too am happy to see that art's being funded for art's sake, but yeah, renaissance is a bit far.

Off on a slight tangent: does anyone have any experience in applying for arts council grants for music, outwith the sphere of classical music? I've often wondered whether they'd support someone who was making techno, or a band. Seems like with the industry the way it is, people who are doing interesting things should be supported whatever way they can be.

mistersloane

I too am happy to see that art's being funded for art's sake, but yeah, renaissance is a bit far.

Off on a slight tangent: does anyone have any experience in applying for arts council grants for music, outwith the sphere of classical music? I've often wondered whether they'd support someone who was making techno, or a band. Seems like with the industry the way it is, people who are doing interesting things should be supported whatever way they can be.

I don't I'm afraid, but someone I think in the dubstep thread mentioned that a few of the guys had got laptops off an arts council grant to do a tour, so maybe check through that and contact them for advice? The Arts Council are such local bodies - even though it's all been merged - that I'd really check in with the people near who you are, say hallo and let them know what you're doing, they can't give you dosh if they don't know what's up, and really the more people who tell them what's going down the better. They can't get any better if we don't tell them, I personally think everyone is at fault. As an Arts Council person you're obviously gonna go with your particular field, and if you don't get info about other stuff....

What really shocks me is the lack of music studios being built around the Olympics site, and that should really have been addressed within that money, given what's come out of that area. That's a BIG fuck up in my opinion. Shocking, shocking shame.