no smoke - International Smoke Signal (please)

joe_muggs

Near anything on Warriors Dance is essential... Bang Bang You're Mine... Release Your Body... Joy (with Robert Owens)... emotionally rich and right at the heart of the birth of so many strands of dance music.

polystyle

Koro Koro

We used to hear Koro Koro around town at that time.
So great ...
Thanx for the memory , just about forgot that wicked baby ...

zhao

there are no accidents
This record is jungle avant la lettre, jungle before sped-up bpm's entered into the equation. The A-side "Precaution" has breakbeats and deep dub rhythms, but even more crucial, an air of "militancy" and underground perseverance. Tension. Danger. Washed-out samples of a woman screaming, and of a fascist political rally. Plus, a sped-up funk or disco sample that goes something like, "Over, wak-e-wak-e-hoo," and a recurring piano line that sounds lifted from Frank de Wulf. On the flip, track B2 "Extra Caution" is more upfront and less dark and dubby -- it's a first-rate warehouse jam, and has an irresistible "you wanna deal with me, i wanna deal with you" voice sample -- but otherwise has many of the same characteristics as the A-side.

sounds wicked

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I really cite 'Funky Zulu' as being a complete jungle prototype, the bassline is huuuge...do do do do doooo do do....

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
house music leading to jungle , tony thorpe is very overlooked, very.

He is, isn't he? Bang The Party used that Reese-type bassline as well, didn't it? We used to riiinse that. I'd be well up for hearing a compilation of all his stuff now.

joe_muggs

He is, isn't he? Bang The Party used that Reese-type bassline as well, didn't it? We used to riiinse that. I'd be well up for hearing a compilation of all his stuff now.

Bang The Party was Kid Bachelor not Thorpe.... but yes a few of both of their tracks were really way ahead of their time.

polystyle

Back to the sound of Koro Koro for a moment ,
I had caught it one night on the radio and taped it to cassette
and the description of it being ' Jungle avant ...' sounds right.
A rolling mid tempo breakbeat construction with Koro Koro tribal vocal chant repeating in the mix,
not riding on top at all -so an interesting mood was created and built as the track didn't change over time, just keep rolling. Tribal , primative gritty futuristic.
Much more interesting then 'house' imo .

Definitely one of those tracks you might hear once and never forgot,
we had been listening to what was out there as we were beginning The Voodooists project in '88 (Haitian Voudou priests & mambos over club music) ,
"Voudou Ray" caught our ear title and sonic wise
but it was Koro Koro that really got out attention...

Hats off No Smoke people ... wherever you are
Didn't hear anything else by them tho'
Cheers

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
i have dis.. but I don't want to sell it! ;)

agreed about its incredible influence..

Also see 'Single minded people' by Nicolette and 'Hot music'.... for tunes that changed the way I thought about dancin and music