Software

adam

Apologies if this has been done before.

What music software are the music-makers of Dissensus using? And what kind of stuff are they doing with it?

iueke

i use:
protools
Pulsar Generator
Cloud Generator
CDP
max msp

i should be looking into expanding this list, there must be so much out there worth checking out. lazy i guess.
can someone recommend some good (free) plugins for protools 6?

O

Omaar

ableton live, orion platinum or fruity loops for sequencing

arturia and gmedia vst synth emulations.

wave arts effects at the moment.

mms

sometimes
used fruityloops recently and thought it was suprisingly rad.
used reason which is quite tasty.
got to get back on that stuff.

nomos

Administrator
Ableton Live for all my composition and sequencing + Peak for edits and file conversion. Bought a MIDI mixer too but I rarely plug it in.

I was making loop/sample based tunes but recently I've been using Live to "DJ" in the most non-linear, anal-retentive sense of the term. Hoping to post a mix soon.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
A friend sent me a DeMuDi install CD, so am going to set that up on its own partition and delve into the world of linux. I think it should be able do absolutely everything I want, it's just a question of whether I can be bothered re-learning after over a decade with the same sequencer.

DeMuDi is part of this crazy project called AGNULA, which is making completely free music making setups that will basically give you a beautiful sequencer, soft synths, a sampler and some really powerful apps for constructing shiznit from scratch. Oh, and every app talks to every other app.

It's basically just bundling together a linux distribution with all the above music gear so you don't have to be toooooooo much of a nerd to get it all up and running. The friend who posted the CD said he just bunged it in the drive, ran the install, booted up, had to get a driver to make his sound card work and then it was all on.

As for now, I use Master Tracks Pro 4 for sequencing. It's from Windows 3.1 days, so not working so well under W2k, but it does what I want and goddamn do I know it inside out. I know I'm taking the piss by sitting on this old piece of poo, but I seriously reckon people can be way too driven by the tools that come out rather than finding a good tool for what they want to write... Anyway, this is hooked up to an old E-Mu sampler, where I dump sounds from my PC.

As far as manipulating sounds, etc. I've been using AudioMulch as well and loving it. Great with a bunch of free VSTs, particularly if you want to do more ambient or gurgly stuff... or rather than using it for making sound sources, mangle things you've sequenced elsewhere for a final mix.

Phenomenally fun live as well - I definitely can't justify shelling out all the money for Ableton Live when this software is free to download and costs bugger all to register.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
soul_pill said:
I've been using Logic for a while. It seems pretty capable. I also use Peak for editing, cos Logic is awful at that. In the spirit of Nick Gutterbreakz posting his fruityloops efforts, here's my first effort at a grime instrumental using Logic (inspired after listening to DJ Distance....)

http://s3.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=35RE8JII2DZUW1TW3KLE7GAO36
i like this - at least the first 3 minutes

think it need to BANG HARDER or GO WEIRD somehow after that? not very critical analysis I know, sorry

nothing like having someone aggressively shouting 'motherFUCK' :D :D :D

be interested in wot others tink

can you send these sorts of tings to dubplate.net?

soul_pill

egg said:
i like this - at least the first 3 minutes

think it need to BANG HARDER or GO WEIRD somehow after that? not very critical analysis I know, sorry

nothing like having someone aggressively shouting 'motherFUCK' :D :D :D

be interested in wot others tink

can you send these sorts of tings to dubplate.net?

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it's definitely got a "soft" kick drum... no attack - whereas all the aggressive attacky soiunds are in high-mids. I'll probably leave this track as it is and just work on something new when i get the time. cheers.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
Audiomulch + Fruityloops rated here too. just about the only other thing i use is a little program for transferring files from my MRS4 recorder to the PC.

D

droid

Soundforge for editing wavs/talking to the sampler, and Logic for sequencing, and stuff like granulator and a few zilllion audio plug-ins to generate sounds..

Great thing about logic is the environments. Similar to MAX MSP - You can construct hugely complicated patches and effects based on software samplers.. and if you have a fast enough PC, you can run everything off it without the need for any external hardware (other than a decent soundcard)

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Buzz. http://www.buzzmachines.com

It's free, it's got a great community all in one place, it's free, it has a good amount of cool plugins (and oceans of horrible ones, don't use them...a part of the learning curve in Buzz is finding out which plugins are good) and it's pretty powerful. I found that anything Audiomulch can do, Buzz can do better although the interface is a bit crap. It doesn't require a great PC either.

Unfortunately since it is not all calibrated nicely it takes more effort to produce good sounds than in Reason or something but at least it is free and has more sound generators/effects.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
MOTU Digital Performer 4
and
Elektron Monomachine
for sequencing.

Just trying to figure out how to work out a nice workflow involving both.

O

Omaar

demudi

Yeah, gave this a go but gave up using this debian based distro when I couldn't get my modem talking properly.

Much as I would love to get linux running to make music, there wasn't any point in even trying without a network connection.

Tried running the 64 bit version of fedora core 3, but it seemed really unstable so switched back to using the i386 version. Fedora Core 3 i386 installed my modem fine, but is a bit shit for multimedia. It took me several hours to figure out how to get an mp3 codec running, as they're not bundled with the system. That was using xmms - tried amarok later and that totally fucked everything up, so decided to try a distro that came bundled with multimedia stuff.

So now I am trying suse 9.2: one mp3 player works straight off, but amarok is still not dealing with my sound server so will keep investigating. Internet is not running, so may have to try running my modem using ethernet rather USB. If I manage to sort out these basic problems, I may try running some audio production software, once my brain has been on an extended holiday.

I find it very disorienting, not being able to connect to the internet at home. Has anyone else experienced a feeling of 'disconnectedness' when unable to go online?

Is anyone else using linux for making music? Mike?

I have decided to create a dual boot, so I can still run my old windows based music appz, and still experiment with linux.

Linux is just ideologically so much more sound, I really want it to work ... my patience is being tested though, I think I must have installed a fresh OS about 10 times over the last week ...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Re: DeMuDi

I've got my DeMuDi install CD, but still haven't had a go yet. Can't say your comments make me feel more inclined either!

My intention was to set it up on its own partition and not look at doing anything but music on it, which would admittedly mean if I were downloading sounds or whatever I would have to boot into a different partition...

O

Omaar

yeah, I find the trouble is, if anything goes wrong or doesn't work straight off, then you need to be online to have any chance of finding out what it might be ....

fwiw suse looks really really good, and if i can get my internet connection sorted I will use it for my day to day activities, but still use windows for making music. That's kinda the opposite of what I originally intended to happen, but nevermind ...

Good luck if you decide to give a shot!

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
im using renoise for my main program now... so much so that i (gasp) bought the software. taking tracking to a new level really... for me.

used to be a big Buzz nut as well, but seriously, a few things turned me over to renoise

1. noise bursts. huge, squeely, unexplainable noise bursts. yuck!

2. songs sounding different every time you load them and having to use workarounds eg disconnect some machines, save as a different file name, import song, resave... and then having to move all the bits around which got imported on top of one another to reconnect that machine~

3. crashes. . . nothing like resequencing a few minutes of chopped up amen again and again and again...

4. it's NOT ACTIVELY BEING DEVELOPEd.. . well, theres loads of new machines coming out always, but once you find a few you like you tend to stick to them, and the host app is horribly buggy.

don't get me wrong i really love the program, but i love renoise more. . .

Edit: forgot to mention, it's on OSx and it's being ported to linux, and costs like..$40 us or something crazy. if you're into tracking checkit out httP://www.renoise.com

Last edited: