Recommend me...

Kate Mossad

... some electronics along the lines of Haswell & Hecker, Mego, post Confield Autechre, recent Whitehouse etc. Thanks in advance.

Octopus?

... some electronics along the lines of Haswell & Hecker, Mego, post Confield Autechre, recent Whitehouse etc. Thanks in advance.

Not electro, but I recently discovered Transmission, the pre-Swans project of Jonathan Kane and Daniel Galliduani, which sounds almost exactly like some of the 'afro-noise' Whitehouse has been layering behind their rants recently. A friend recommended them to me after I kept going on and on about WH's new direction and they did not disappoint. The sax and guitar are so heavily filtered that they sound almost like synths. A little off topic, but well worth checking out.

sing_minimal

could be pretty hard to recommend something because those are all very unique artists. maybe you could check the latest pan sonic / mika vainio albums, ryoji ikeda's dataplex (and test pattern maybe), frenk bretschneider, yasunao tone (selftitled album), some hafler trio, alireza mashayekhi and sote on that persian electronic music cd, bernard parmegiani

Kevin Drumms' post improv noise work is well worth a look- e.g , Sheer Hellish Miasma, Land of Lurches, the various cassettes etc. Also if you haven't already checked out Hecker's solo Sun Pandamonium that's pretty twisted...

Kate Mossad

Fantastic, thanks everyone.

Octopus? I checked out a couple of Transmission samples here http://othermusic.com/2006october12update.html like you say a little off topic and not really what I was looking for but I'm going to get that EP anyway to check it out properly. Cheers.

Good call sing_minimal. I'm familiar with the recent Pan Sonic/Vainio stuff and I'm in the middle of investigating the Raster Noton catalogue (finances permitting). That Alireza Mashayekhi CD from last year was amazing. If you like that you should check out John Chowning although his stuff is almost impossible to find, there's a track available on this http://www.furious.com/PERFECT/ohm/ The only Parmegiani I've heard is the two tracks on the Electronic Panorama, Paris LP which I thought were good but not great.

Michael, thanks for the links.
Safari can’t open the page “http://fals.ch/” because it can’t find the server “fals.ch”.
I'm going to check out the others in detail when I get some time especially the Soundtracks for Images Archive.

U-Basstard, again thanks but I'm familiar with both of these. Did anyone catch SND supporting Autechre recently? Very good.

fokse vektaire xeven, I'll look out for the Drumm works you mention. I've only heard a split with 2673 which didn't really grab me to be honest. Sun Pandaemonium I top of my "to do" list.

Thank you for the love Oliver however I should let you know now that I have very little in common with either of my namesakes. Which is a good thing. Perhaps...

Are there any other forums where this sort of music is discussed? I know about WATMM and Susan Lawley.

Anyway... thanks again everyone. I genuinely appreciate all of your suggestions.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Safari can’t open the page “http://fals.ch/” because it can’t find the server “fals.ch”.
Yeah, actually think it might be over, but thought I'd seen it re-launched recently.

Did anyone catch SND supporting Autechre recently? Very good.
Are they still active? That's nice to hear. I really like their stuff (think they top my last.fm plays, which is obviously the ultimate arbiter of value ;)) but had assumed they'd stopped doing stuff. Mark Fell's solo record is probably more inkeeping with most of the other things discussed in this thread. That said, I found it horrible and unlistenable.

zhao

there are no accidents
if you are after finely sculpted sound and challenging but more mature composition, you might consider leaving the hipster laptop noise and clicks crowd and head for more serious electro-acoustic territory:

Bernard Parmegiani
Bernhard Loibner
Bertoia, Harry
Bruno Moreigne
Dale Lloyd
Dion Workman
Doron Sadja
John Duncan
Folke Rabe
Francis Dhomont
Francois Bayle
Heribert Friedl
Giuseppe Ielasi
Guionnet, Jean-Luc
Pascal Battus
Heribert Friedl
Ned Bouhalassa
Randall Smith
christian Calon
Paul Dolden
Julien Roy
Stephane Roy
Monique Jean
Marc Tremblay
Alain Gauthier
Eric Rocheleau
Pierre-Alexandre Tremblay
Elaine Lilio
Jonathan Coleclough
Julien Ottavi
Kai Fagashinski
Ron Kuivila
Kyle Bobby Dunn
Nuno Canavarro
Roel Meelkop
Roland Kayn
Nicolas Collins
Rosy Parlane
Samuel Magrill
Matt Shoemaker
Silvain Chauveau
Joel Stern
Northam, Michael
Tuote Akatemia
Yazijian, Ed

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, a lot of those artists are on that Tu 'M curated site I mentioned above, alongside Mego, 12k, etc. artists. Heribert Friedl, Julien Ottavi, Rosy Parlane, Roel Meelkop, et al.

Man, how do you characterise people like Dion Workman and Rosy Parlane as not hipster stuff, as serious electroacoustic, etc. when they met when they were playing together in a rock band and their label (which most recently released Julien Ottavi, also on your list) sublicenced tracks from Vladislav Delay's first album for Mille Plateaux, the home of clicks'n'cuts? Nuno Canavarro was released by Jim O'Rourke's label...

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeah, a lot of those artists are on that Tu 'M curated site I mentioned above, alongside Mego, 12k, etc. artists. Heribert Friedl, Julien Ottavi, Rosy Parlane, Roel Meelkop, et al.

Man, how do you characterise people like Dion Workman and Rosy Parlane as not hipster stuff, as serious electroacoustic, etc. when they met when they were playing together in a rock band and their label (which most recently released Julien Ottavi, also on your list) sublicenced tracks from Vladislav Delay's first album for Mille Plateaux, the home of clicks'n'cuts? Nuno Canavarro was released by Jim O'Rourke's label...

yeah when i was making that list i was thinking there are certainly some over-laps, and some others are just included by mistake. you are right about Rosy Parlane, etc. being hipsterish, and probably should have been left out -- but my excuse would be the lines are not that clearly drawn anyway... if there even is a line anymore, or indeed ever was. i just kind of meant in general beyond the most obvious names i suppose.

but people like Bernard Parmegiani, Francis Bayle, and Roland Kayne, do somehow, in my mind at least, belong to a different calibre... a more "serious" breed.

there is a fantastic site which streams really amazing contemporary electro-acoustic stuff in high quality audio... i'll find it and post link a little later.

DannyL

Wild Horses
You might some stuff that tinkles your synthesier on www.digital-music-archives.com

I ordered a copy of Parmegiani's De Natura Sonorum from them yesterday which I'm looking forward to hearing a lot. Lot of interesting information, CDs for sale, audio clips etc.

Kate Mossad

if you are after finely sculpted sound and challenging but more mature composition, you might consider leaving the hipster laptop noise and clicks crowd and head for more serious electro-acoustic territory:

Does "more mature" and "serious" mean noise made by people with University degrees? Is that better than "hipster" What is hipster anyway? Is that some sort of North American Amercian slang? ;)

Thank you for the list, I'm familiar with some of those names but I will check the others out.

x

Leo

really digging "light ships" by bulb on freedom to spend. spacey/noisy with a dash of basic channel. as some have said: "a free-jazz record for techno fans."

mms

sometimes
if you like noise, i'd try the no fun label, they seem to be on the ball, check out the demons album, also the jazkamer and smegma album is really good, really 50's sounding electronics in a paranoid, b movie way.

Kate Mossad

Thanks, I find No Fun heavy going at times, too much analogue sludge to wade through if you want to get to the diamonds. That Demons album is great though.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
perhaps these are too obvious choices for your discerning tastes but................

for lighter and perhaps more playful glitch i could recommend markus popp's
So project

in fact anything by oval is worth having.

or perhaps gordon mumma , who aparrently was " among the first composers to employ circuitry of his own design in compositions and performance".

other favourites include the clanger esque cartoonish soundscapes of mouse on mars's soundtrack 'glam'

and also any early lithops

also i love the rustic sound dominique petitgand's “10 petites compositions familiales”, which i found to be the most interesting of the many metamkine cd's i own.

of course some of the best noise is found naturally, such as chris watson's numerous field recordings.