help wanted.. writing about Grime

-blade-

I write a text about Grime on my website will be published on www.nxtlvl.ch but its not that easy since im not from London so i come here....

listening to Grime from wayback since Rinse FM is online im a dj myself and promoting the Sound...

and im reading the forum on the regular but i still have a few Questions:

1.The therm Grime where does it come from.. who was using the term? grimey Garage? Who coined it finally then?

2.Wich Raves where going on.. know about Sidewinder, Eskimo Dance, One Man Standing...later on, straight outta Bental, Dirty Canvas.... and BTW if you have Flyers from the events, special the old ones and big size (min 700px in height) and good quality... please send em to: nxtlvl at gmx dot net >thanks alot!!

3 what where the restrictions for the Artists to have a gig on certain Raves? heard things like they have to show a list where the last tree gigs were, or if there were any criminal records...?

4 heard also that the Raves where shut down- among other things -because of the Lyrics because they had violent content, that fall into the category to call up for Terrorism and such...what is this all about?

5 Where why and when on which Stations was Grime Banned and how long? Deja Vu? Freeze? ChoiceFm? the last one on Rinse i know.

6 Wich Stations support(ed) it to the fullest?

7. Wich where the best DVD's? Lord of the Mic, Practice Hours, Risky Roads, Non Stop Working...what else...

Thanks for your help and all answers! also any critics and other additional info or ideas are very welcome...

blade

btw if you're interested here's a mix by myself done early 05.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4566555-e89

mos dan

fact music
4. - you should get woofah, it contains an article (by me, ahem) about raves being shut down/interfered with in recent years

5. - there are other (internet/legal) stations that play grime now: pyroradio, utz used to (dunno if it still does), logan on kiss obvs, westwood on 1xtra even

7. - risky roadz 2 is my favourite personally (if only for this incredible ruff sqwad section). you might want to mention aim high as well, they're good dvds.

4 heard also that the Raves where shut down- among other things -because of the Lyrics because they had violent content, that fall into the category to call up for Terrorism and such...what is this all about?

has anyone else heard anything about this?? sounds like it might be a bit of an urban myth

-blade-

4. - you should get woofah, it contains an article (by me, ahem) about raves being shut down/interfered with in recent years

5. - there are other (internet/legal) stations that play grime now: pyroradio, utz used to (dunno if it still does), logan on kiss obvs, westwood on 1xtra even

7. - risky roadz 2 is my favourite personally (if only for this incredible ruff sqwad section). you might want to mention aim high as well, they're good dvds.

has anyone else heard anything about this?? sounds like it might be a bit of an urban myth

Thanks alot Mos Dan for the woofah mention, will get well into that! yes and the Risky Roads part i have linked on my site big big thing! how could i forget.

the other points still.. there must been some people who can eventually have the answers?

1.The therm Grime where does it come from.. who was using the term? grimey Garage? Who coined it finally then?---- heard that Matt Jam Lamont and Ez were using it- not in a positive way though.

3 what where the restrictions for the Artists to have a gig on certain Raves? heard things like they have to show a list where the last tree gigs were, or if there were any criminal records...?

Think Cameo said something similar one time about it... because i asked how to get to the new years eve rave La Cosa Nostra 05 it was like 2 or 3 days before and he said It does not take place. on the Question why he mentioned those things...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Thanks alot Mos Dan for the woofah mention, will get well into that! yes and the Risky Roads part i have linked on my site big big thing! how could i forget.

the other points still.. there must been some people who can eventually have the answers?

1.The therm Grime where does it come from.. who was using the term? grimey Garage? Who coined it finally then?---- heard that Matt Jam Lamont and Ez were using it- not in a positive way though.

Think Cameo said something similar one time about it... because i asked how to get to the new years eve rave La Cosa Nostra 05 it was like 2 or 3 days before and he said It does not take place. on the Question why he mentioned those things...

1. it's one of those debates with many theories - personally I think it got coined because 'grimey' was getting coined alot by US rappers (i.e. the NORE single 'grimey') so mcs were using it to distinguish themselves from the rest of garage - i.e. things are gunna get grimey now.

3/4. As a promoter I've not heard about these things specifically, but the problem of putting on grime nights are well chronicled in Dan's woofah piece (albeit it seems to be getting easier)