Mercury sucks (2008 redux)

jenks

thread death
i know it's always shit but they really have pushed the boat out this year. I would have expected albums by Goldfrapp, Portishead and Skepta as well as Eliza McCarthy as pretty good examples of the range, invention and imagination of british music without going too far 'out there'.

at least no Duffy

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
The MMP awards are a self-congratulatory smug slap-on-the-back for crappy out-of-touch media imbeciles to think that they are still in touch with the odd thing that doesn't get to number one in the album charts. Its the Jools Holland of awards.

To make matters worse, Burial is on there- hopefully his anonymous shenanigans will halt any career-death which the mercury usually ushers in immediately. I guess his is just a token 'underground' nomination though.

gumdrops

dont think burial will win, hes not really high profile enough. these days its all about just cheerleading for stuff thats already doing well rather than supporting or championing something more obscure. he should have won for the first album though.

mms

sometimes
dont think burial will win, hes not really high profile enough. these days its all about just cheerleading for stuff thats already doing well rather than supporting or championing something more obscure. he should have won for the first album though.

second highest odds after radiobore.

Elijah

Butterz
why did u expect skepta? This is an indication of sales over the past year, not interest generated in their own fields.

crackerjack

This is an indication of sales over the past year, not interest generated in their own fields.

Yeah, right, you couldn't move round my way for people buying Laura Marling and Rachel Unthank. And as for Portico Quartet, or Platinum Quartet as we call 'em:rolleyes:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"he's the bookies fav according to dsforum!"
Does anyone know how they calculate the odds for this kind of thing? I'd be interested to see a comparison of bookies' favourites with actual winners over the years - I suspect that the two lists wouldn't be that similar.

mos dan

fact music
Will he collect it in a mask or something?

i can't see him going at all. nine in his place? i'd love to see nine being interviewed by fearne cotton. i think the universe might implode though.

rich, i guess they're working out the odds based on what's most likely to win? and then after that, based on where the money is going? i'm not being facetious, i just don't think i understand the question. is your point that the mercury is totally unpredictable? i think it has a certain 'type'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"rich, i guess they're working out the odds based on what's most likely to win? and then after that, based on where the money is going? i'm not being facetious, i just don't think i understand the question. is your point that the mercury is totally unpredictable? i think it has a certain 'type'."
Well, yeah, that was kinda my point - or at least that the bookies have no more information than you or I and it's probably just a load of blokes sitting round going "nah, they went for a folk one last year" or whatever and then factoring in how famous the bands are to guess where the money will go. I wouldn't give too much credence to whatever they make favourite is what I'm saying.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My guess is an indescribably complex mathematical algorithm run on a top secret supercomputer leased from the military, in conjunction with advanced chaos magick and the casting of runes.

mos dan

fact music
the bookies have no more information than you or I and it's probably just a load of blokes sitting round going "nah, they went for a folk one last year" or whatever and then factoring in how famous the bands are to guess where the money will go.

yeah i assume this is the case too - they're not going to be getting any leaks from the judges... not yet anyway. look out for big movements of money on betfair, that's when someone on the panel is gabbing to their mates...

based on the vague guesswork/criteria you describe above though, i think burial seems a sensible favourite. indie won last year. the story has to be, from a pr pov, either

"burial - an unknown, anonymous underground DANCE artist (but one you can listen to at home, don't worry), has won!! whowouldathunkit?!?"

or

"radiohead - rock's geniuses/auteurs win! but their album was on a voluntary payment ting! what does this say about the future of the music industry in the digital age??"

i think the most reliable criteria is that: what makes the best story for the hacks to write about afterwards?

incidentally jude rogers from the graun is a judge, and i swear she wrote something about burial in the NS last year.. i forget what she said tho.