Tune ID: All My Life I've Lived in the Ghetto - massive acid soul number

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I heard this AMAZING record at the Green Man festival. It's this HUGE heavy funk / soul stomper, the main feature of which is a refrain of "All my life I've lived in the ghetto" that just goes round and round. I can't remember many other lyrics but there's a massive bassline and, crucially for identification purposes, a gigantic acid freakout at the end that goes on for about three minutes. Sounds like it was made in the mid-70s, vocalist sounds a bit like Marva Whitney.

Anyone with any ideas of what this might be, PLEASE let me know, I am desperate to have this song in my life.

BTW this got played in the afternoon on the Friday, I went up the front and give a big thumbs up to the DJ and he came down and gave me a hug. Awwww.

:cool:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"BTW this got played in the afternoon on the Friday, I went up the front and give a big thumbs up to the DJ and he came down and gave me a hug. Awwww."
Who was the dj? I know a few people who were dj-ing at Green Man so there is a chance I can find out.

crackerjack

I heard this AMAZING record at the Green Man festival. It's this HUGE heavy funk / soul stomper, the main feature of which is a refrain of "All my life I've lived in the ghetto" that just goes round and round.

Definitely that, and not "I was born & raised in the ghetto"? Not that it's particularly acid, but there are quite a few versions.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I tried asking but it was a bit loud!

No idea who the dj was, I will have a look though.

yeah it was definitely "all my life I've lived in the ghetto"!

Thanks everyone!

DannyL

Wild Horses
Everyone had a beard Jon, even the girls.

Paul - can't believe that you were there and I didn't see you all weekend! Downer. But I hope you a good one. I had a f***ing great time :)

john eden

male pale and stale
Everyone had a beard Jon, even the girls.

Paul - can't believe that you were there and I didn't see you all weekend! Downer. But I hope you a good one. I had a f***ing great time :)

Yeah I thought it might narrow it down a bit if he didn't have a beard, but that was obviously optimistic!

So has Paul invented being hugged by a massive beardy DJ then?

And if so, why? :slanted:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
YES! NOW I CAN GET IT!

John Stapleton is about the right timing - it could be just the DJ's mate? He was in the booth, but there was another guy as well.

Err is that THE John Stapleton?

Fuck, Danny! I can't believe we were at the same festival all weekend! Aaaaargh! Yeah we had a FAB time. First two days (Thurs / Fri) of blissful sunshine were fantastic. The torrential downpour of Saturday got a bit much. My boys were very good about trudging through acres of mud! Got a bit much in the end and came home early but it was fantastic.

STN

sou'wester
It's the record-collector-promoter-dj guy from Bristol.

I once slagged him off, not realising he was stood right by me. I was being a dick and showing off to a girl. Can you apologise for me? Obviously, he won't remember.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I once slagged him off, not realising he was stood right by me. I was being a dick and showing off to a girl. Can you apologise for me? Obviously, he won't remember."
I actually don't know him personally just on vinylvulture. Always seems like a pretty friendly guy though. If I do ever meet him I will pass on your apologies - what exactly did you say?

STN

sou'wester
I actually don't know him personally just on vinylvulture. Always seems like a pretty friendly guy though. If I do ever meet him I will pass on your apologies - what exactly did you say?

Oh this woman asked me what I thought of John Stapleton, she knew him and thought I would say he was terrific and then she could say 'well whaddya know, you're stood right next to him', instead I played it 'safe' and said I thought he was shit and wore hawaiian shirts. Deathly silence.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"That tune by Hairy Diamond that he dug out all those years ago was fucking magic."
Was he involved in Hairy Diamond then? I never knew that. I thought it was those guys from that clothing label (PPQ or something)?