Grime Freestyling Vs UKHH Freestyling

muser

I'm not really a big listener of UKHH anymore but i still think that the emcees are alot better at battling/freestyling; maybe its just personal taste, that they tend to keep the same basic rythm/rhymes, constraints of the tempo or that its so full of yoot and that freestyling takes a long time to develop i don't know. I've basically heard one freestyle with sway and dizzee rascal on westwood where sway was wack and dizzee was sounding pretty good. But still nothing compared to emcees like jehst, skinnyman, and life from philife when it comes to freestlying/battling. I like grime, not sure if this is still down to personal taste though or something that will develop in time..

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
Without meaning to be insulting I think its a case of eduation and experience. All the UKHH guys you've mentioned have grown up outside the hip hop establishment and are pretty nerdy true schoolers who've been to uni (i think jehst has an english lit degree). Their output tends to be a lot more studied and referential to hiphops golden years. Most grime kids idea of studied is watching ninjaman youtube clips. id still take the energy and urgency of grime any day, UKHH mc's may be a lot more eloquent but it tends to come accross as smug.

Last edited:
The vibe's just completely different, I'm not sure they can be compared.

The thing is with grime is that it's all about the feel. Fuck lyrics for the most part, which is why I'd take Tempa T over Devlin any second of any day.

mms

sometimes
i don't think if a grime mc and a uk hip hop mc clashed they'd even recognise each other, the styles of mcing are very distinct, grimes got a lot more influence from southern stuff, dancehall and soca, while as noted above the uk stuff is more about the true school.

hint

party record with a siren
Freestyling is overrated. If you hear something described as a "freestyle" and it's actually quite good, 99 times out of 100 it will just be pre-written bars.

I presume that the difference between the Sway and Dizzee freestyles mentioned in the first post is down to the fact that Sway did stuff on the spot and Dizzee didn't. As a result, Sway sounded rubbish because freestyling is rubbish.

That Dizzee & Grit Boys recording is the same - the Grit Boys make most of it up as they go, Dizzee just rattles off some pre-written bars. Don't think I've ever heard any of the Grime MCs "freestyle" in the purist Hip Hop sense.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

The Phi Life guys are genuinely pretty nuts freestyling live.

I have never heard a genuine freestyle from a grime MC (ie making shit up on the spur of the moment).

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
The Phi Life guys are genuinely pretty nuts freestyling live.

I have never heard a genuine freestyle from a grime MC (ie making shit up on the spur of the moment).

Some of this set by Bashy{onThe Logan Sama show} seems to be made up on the spur of the moment.

He isnt going head to head with anyone though and it's not that great!

Bashy freestyle on Logans show: 16/06/08 Part 1/2

Bashy freestyle on Logans show: 16/06/08 Part 2/2

gumdrops

no one really 'freestyles' these days anyway. its all written rhymes. good thing too IMHO - ive heard some truly awful sets where rappers were going 'off the dome'.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
no one really 'freestyles' these days anyway. its all written rhymes. good thing too IMHO - ive heard some truly awful sets where rappers were going 'off the dome'.

i am not a huge fan of freestyling, but there are plenty of people who do it... in certain cicrles, it never died...

viktorvaughn

The American MC Supernatural is an amazing freestyler but you wouldn't want to see him more than once. And Phi Life definitely do it proper 'off the dome' at times (or at least did when I still went to UKHH nights about 4 years ago).